Im in shock right now

Yes, I've heard of them baiting domestic dogs and either killing them or breeding them which leaves the female damaged. I'm glad she came back to you.

Our vet back in IL told us to take care you dog chasing raccoons especially if there is water nearby like a pond.

He told me that there were instances in the area we lived in where dogs had chased raccoons in the water only to have the raccoons climb on them, push their head under water and drown them. No way the dog can free itself.

Like everything else Missouri can grow some darned big raccoons. I've caught them that were so large they filled the live trap.

I guess we get all the good stuff up here in the northern half of the state.

No wait! Souther MO got Elk! Like hitting a big old buck isn't bad enough now you get the chance to total your car on a beast that is as big as a horse.

Everyone say thank you Missouri...THANK YOU MISSOURI!

Normally they dont come anywhere near my house. Theyve been bold lately. The other night i tried to scare them off because I didnt have a good flashlight on me to get a shot on them and they stood their ground. Ive never seen them stay still when a man is coming at them.

I let some of my birds free range and some are locked up. The ones that free range roost on top of the barn. They pried double bolted doors open. But, theres no scratches or bitemarks on the wood. No paw prints anywhere. The only reason I know it was coyotes is I found coyote scat by piles of feathers way out in my pasture.

So true, if they occur there. Or some critter got that donkey, and another set got the chickens.
What has Animal Control and the DNR said?
Mary
That is a strong possibility!
Trying to figure out how a coyote or dog could pry open a double bolt....that’s insane.
What animal that can pry open a double bolt door without scratching ,chewing or busting it? I can't even do that. It sounds so Bizarre .

Yes, I've heard of them baiting domestic dogs and either killing them or breeding them which leaves the female damaged. I'm glad she came back to you.

Our vet back in IL told us to take care you dog chasing raccoons especially if there is water nearby like a pond.

He told me that there were instances in the area we lived in where dogs had chased raccoons in the water only to have the raccoons climb on them, push their head under water and drown them. No way the dog can free itself.

Like everything else Missouri can grow some darned big raccoons. I've caught them that were so large they filled the live trap.

I guess we get all the good stuff up here in the northern half of the state.

No wait! Souther MO got Elk! Like hitting a big old buck isn't bad enough now you get the chance to total your car on a beast that is as big as a horse.

Everyone say thank you Missouri...THANK YOU MISSOURI!
I've only been here 11 years, I'm from CO, AZ, NM. I call this "Planet MO," lol. But we had elk back there. Haven't seen any here yet.. back in NM there were areas and times they were wall-to-wall. Gorgeous beasts. Enormous. Yeah, they'll total you, you're not driving home with a dented fender! And you're right about raccoons. They look cute and cuddly and who didn't fall in love with Rascal of storybook fame? But there's a world of disconnect between Disney and my beheaded chicken.

I've only been here 11 years, I'm from CO, AZ, NM. I call this "Planet MO," lol. But we had elk back there. Haven't seen any here yet.. back in NM there were areas and times they were wall-to-wall. Gorgeous beasts. Enormous. Yeah, they'll total you, you're not driving home with a dented fender! And you're right about raccoons. They look cute and cuddly and who didn't fall in love with Rascal of storybook fame? But there's a world of disconnect between Disney and my beheaded chicken.
West Virginia has introducing elk in very limited numbers and only a few locations but I've never seen one.

It seems so crazy out there with all those wild animals :oops:. How do you guys usually deal with them?
The last time I lost a hen, it was a raccoon that got her about two years ago. Our losses are rare and minimal. We set up the live trap and caught it the following night. I loaded it up in the back of the truck, drove about ten miles away and turned it loose. But I then realized I was wrong to do that. I did not know if there were other dwellings anywhere near, and if so, whether there were chickens at those residences. I may have just dumped my problem at someone else's doorstep. That wasn't right. So shortly after that I got myself a lethal "critter getter." It's not the best thing and I will get a better one soon. But if I ever catch another varmint eating my chickens I will dispose of it permanently on my own property.

Back
Top Bottom