Im in shock right now

Pics
I agree with every post here.

Just want to add that I would definitely be getting in touch with the local Dept. Of Conservation. If you don't have remains to show them at this point I hope you have pictures. They really need to get involved with this and the sooner the better. Any pack, either wild dog, hybrid wolf/coyote, hybrid coydogs, wild dogs that would do this much carnage in one night would not hesitate to take on an unarmed human or small child.

I think you have a bigger problem here than one with the livestock. I think you need to get to the base of what it is and in the mean time, put up hot wires, traps and lock and load whatever weapons you have.

Also set out game cameras and get proof of what is hanging around and get rid of it. The sooner the better.

My heart breaks for you and your neighbors. Good luck.

Coyote got at least 2 dozen of my laying hens last night. I havent gotten a full count yet. I dont know how many chicks survived, but so far I only count 36 birds and there were 74 when I went to bed.
Was there a hole? Gap?

Thats pretty bad...😕

I have had chickens come back from hiding after a predator attack though. Keep looking...

Cleared out a lot of brush and found some more dens. So far 5 large dens spread out over about 3 acres. I set up a hide last night and but they stayed just outside of my property so I couldnt get a shot. But, I think everyone is correct, i heard something at least 100lbs jump on the goats climbing car and its not in their pen so it wasnt them. Had to be a cougar.

Gonna have to get a little more serious about this.

So sorry for you loss. They are near impossible to trap. I've tried. I had issues with coyotes in the past. Now I have electric wires around my coops and pens and no more free ranging. Lessons learned the hard way. I have a quite powerful fence charger and so far nothing has gotten past the hot wires. I know they have tested them but now they steer clear. There have been some attempts at digging under the fence but once they touch the hot wires they have aborted the attempts. I have several cameras up on my property. I love my cameras.

What I have read on other threads like these on the forum is if you have a penny press or free press paper in your area advertise that you are looking for trappers. Many times they are looking for property to clear of predators for land owners. They will come in and set traps and keep an eye on them.

Where we live in Missouri, once a year usually in January, the young Amish men get together and have a predator hunt. They use #4 birdshot as they are interested in hunting varmints and not one another. They form a circle and drive the predators towards waiting hunters who shall we say, rid the area of problems. We have large yotes, Bobbies, fox, raccoon, and the first year we were here, they shot and killed a young cougar about a mile and a half from our property when it challenged them.

Way too close for my liking. I have my run hot wired and my coop is metal clad with a cement floor. Can't be too safe.

Back
Top Bottom