Im in shock right now

Pics
And two years later, and with very good fencing, that pair of dogs may do a super job for you. The very most expensive chicken protective measures, and only practical in some situations.
Great when in the right situation, not so useful in many backyard set-ups.
Mary
I don’t recommend LGDs for backyards usually. There are some that are born to be couch potatoes though and will be great in part time. Didn’t sound like this person is in a suburb. A top quality LGD pair of Kangal will be ready to kill a predator at 7 months. In this situation we’re writing about on this post I wouldn’t recommend less than two dogs.

The main problem I have is with owls (I think its owls). They mainly bite the head off and don't eat too much of the body. The odd thing is they sometimes apparently walk up the ramp and right into the coop through the small chicken sized door. When I forget to close the door. Does this seem odd to anyone else?

Chickens enter a hypnotic state or trance out of fear (Tonic Immobility)That explains why there was no signs of a struggle or feathers when the door was knocked open & bent.
"Thanatosis is a form of tonic immobility: a state of profound but reversible, involuntary paralysis, which is induced by physical restraint. The animal may appear catatonic, while remaining conscious and calm anywhere from 30 seconds up to half an hour. It’s thought to be the final option in a series of anti-predator strategies when an animal is faced with danger and other forms of defense aren’t possible. Scientists theorize that the body enters TI when running or resistance would increase the risk of pain or suffering."
https://bitchinchickens.com/2021/05/17/tonic-immobility-hypnosis-in-chickens/

Back
Top Bottom