Im in shock right now

It seems so crazy out there with all those wild animals :oops:. How do you guys usually deal with them?
It depends on the animal and the person. Some people just trap things and release them elsewhere; some people go for heavy-duty defenses and enclosures with stuff like electric wire to keep things out; some people just use a gun, patience, and take whatever is causing trouble off the census permanently.

That looks canid to me.
I thought so too. But after asking local people and showing them the size of the prints they said mountain lion too. Plus, there was only one animal pacing around the animals (not multiple/packs). We had better pics of the tracks in the snow and stuff because this was in winter time, unfortunately we deleted the others to make room on our phone. Another thing to mention was during this time a few days later, our water guy (yes our city water is owned by our neighbor, small town) that has property about 10 to 15 acres behind us got pics of a big mountain lion on his game cam.

Whatever it was, the problem is solved now and we won't be dealing with predators like that again.

Ive been searching for tracks. This is the only one Ive found. Thats a size 13 boot so the print isnt exactly small. I had it pegged for a yote though, figured the soft dusty soil just made the print come out biggerView attachment 2835885

Cougar track along with coyote and Bobbie. Looks feline to me, at least the larger track. Smaller could be canid.

View attachment 2835888

Agreed, cats retract their claws when walking. Dogs will leave a mark with their claw prints because they do not have the ability to retract claws.

Coyote got at least 2 dozen of my laying hens last night. I havent gotten a full count yet. I dont know how many chicks survived, but so far I only count 36 birds and there were 74 when I went to bed.
So sorry for your losses. 😢 I haven’t read all the replies but a livestock guardian dog or two, depending on how many and how large the predators are there, will take care of this problem. The Turkish lines like Kangal, Boz, Anatolian and Akbash are the best at this work while still being relatively easy to handle and not aggressive toward pets and family. If you go this route you need to be able to speak candidly with the breeder. Not all LGDs can adjust to chickens but a good breeder will know which of her pups are capable of that work with the right supervision and guidance of course.

Back
Top Bottom