Im in shock right now

Pics
Besides the door being bent and chickens missing I wouldnt have known anything happened. I didnt start finding feather until I went for a walk looking for tracks.
Chickens enter a hypnotic state or trance out of fear (Tonic Immobility)That explains why there was no signs of a struggle or feathers when the door was knocked open & bent.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-09-20 at 22-15-31 Tonic Immobility (‘Hypnosis’) In Chickens.png
    Screenshot 2021-09-20 at 22-15-31 Tonic Immobility (‘Hypnosis’) In Chickens.png
    105 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Chickens enter a hypnotic state or trance out of fear (Tonic Immobility)That explains why there was no signs of a struggle or feathers when the door was knocked open & bent.
"Thanatosis is a form of tonic immobility: a state of profound but reversible, involuntary paralysis, which is induced by physical restraint. The animal may appear catatonic, while remaining conscious and calm anywhere from 30 seconds up to half an hour. It’s thought to be the final option in a series of anti-predator strategies when an animal is faced with danger and other forms of defense aren’t possible. Scientists theorize that the body enters TI when running or resistance would increase the risk of pain or suffering."
https://bitchinchickens.com/2021/05/17/tonic-immobility-hypnosis-in-chickens/

Coyote got at least 2 dozen of my laying hens last night. I havent gotten a full count yet. I dont know how many chicks survived, but so far I only count 36 birds and there were 74 when I went to bed.
I used to have issues with coyotes before I got a Anatolian Shepherd dog. He is now 2 years old and I haven’t seen a coyote near my place in over a year. He does bark at night and it will wake me up but I don’t mind because he scares all the predators off. I hear they do best working in pairs.
37F0E09C-BBCD-4C75-AC6C-07D36ABC49B1.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom