Sponsored Post I'm incubating - what do I do if the power goes out?

I use hot water bottles when the power goes out. Not just the incubator but in the Brooder. If the power goes out for so long that I no longer have hot water available then I use the grill and heat water that way. I am considering getting a small solar panel for charging my power tool batteries and keeping an incubator operating.

If you have frequent power outages, I do not because we are on the smart grid, invest in a good UPS system. I have several and can run my TV/entertainment system and I have a backup that I can connect to an incubator/brooder should the need arise. Oh, I’m an electrician so I have all the electrical playtoys.
It all depends on your power companies uptime to you.

Anyone have any experience with just using an Uninterrupted Power Supply (UPS) for this, like they use for computer systems that can't go down?
See my post in this thread. You can get a UPS in any size. Buy the best value and oversize without going wild. Example: I needed 2kw for my entertainment/smartphone/tv system but I found a 12kw system on sale and got it for a small difference in the price.
A UPS system is a great tool and I whole heartedly recommend every home and business have at least one to safely shutdown electronics.

Our power went out and luckily I didn't have that many eggs in my cabinet incubator. I put the eggs in a styrofoam incubator. I used a Portable Power Jump Starter with an inverter. It worked. The temperature in the incubator went down to 78ºF. I thought I had lost this hatch. I candled some eggs and to my surprise I saw some movement and surprisingly had a good hatch.
IMG_3184.JPG
IMG_3186.JPG

Last spring I hatched two incubators full of eggs. We had really bad spring storms and I went through loss of electricity several times during both hatches.

I used two liter soda bottles with really hot water from the tap and surrounded the incubator. I also put a couple on top.....leaving the air holes uncovered. Then I wrapped the incubator in blankets and the soda bottles kept the blankets off the top. THEN I opened the closet and found my long down jacket!!!! I still believe the down jacket helped more than anything.

First hatch was about 97% and the second hatch was 100%.

So, we can make it several hours without electricity.
Good thinking!
thumbsup.gif

Thanks for posting this information.

What is the affect of temperatures greater than 104.9F on eggs before they go in the incubator?

How much do you think the shipping temperature affects hatching eggs?

Thank you

Thanks for posting this information.  

What is the affect of temperatures greater than 104.9F on eggs before they go in the incubator?

How much do you think the shipping temperature affects hatching eggs?

Thank you

if the temp is within incubation range then the eggs will start germination and development. but at the lethal temps you stated the embryos will most likely die.

Back
Top Bottom