I'm interested in getting rabbits ---- Edit: Just caught a dumped Bunny!!!

Pics
As for during the winter I would put a heat lamp in there or alot of straw bedding so they can nest in it during the winter.

Heat lamps are a major fire hazard, especially around hay and where a rabbit might nibble the cord.

I have had rabbits through the winter, with no added heat, in temperatures about the same as OP is expecting. They were fine. Most of the rabbits were 8-10 pounds, but a few were smaller breeds (maybe 5-6 pounds, not the really tiny dwarfs.)

Rabbits grow a fur coat, and do well with cold weather, as long as they are dry and can get out of the wind, and have enough food & water.

I'm not planning on showing them, but I would still consider it as a feed if it would work for what I want them for.
Then ya go for it also I would recommend a rabbit book for beginners. Raising rabbits I think that's whats its called the authors name is Bob Bennett. Definitely get his book it has a lot of info in it. It tells you from feed and nutrition to building hutch to which breeds would suit your needs

Heat lamps are a major fire hazard, especially around hay and where a rabbit might nibble the cord.

I have had rabbits through the winter, with no added heat, in temperatures about the same as OP is expecting. They were fine. Most of the rabbits were 8-10 pounds, but a few were smaller breeds (maybe 5-6 pounds, not the really tiny dwarfs.)
I have to agree with you. I wouldn't expect them to need heat lamps, as they have thick coats like chickens.

Back
Top Bottom