I'm just curious, how many vegans are there on this site?

I'm a meatarian. I like some collards and greens to go with it. A little cornbread and some biscuits.

Quote:
Quote:
I did go back and read it. I don't feel I took it wrong.You said you don't like the cruelty or the lack of care for people that furnish meat and or eggs to the public. We are one step in the food chain of providing meat to the public. We don't sell our animals privately so I would take it that you would consider us commercial. Cruelty and lack of care? How many farms have you personally witnessed that on? I think you're very misinformed if that's how you think it is in most operations. None of us would be in business very long if that were the case.

no I dont feel your commercial but in answer to your question. I have been on a have witnessed stuff that would make you cringe. I have been own and witnessed at least five different chicken farms that are so cramped with chickens if the lights go off they would kill each other trying to roost. At pick up time the so called caring owners grab the chickens as many at a time as they can and cram them in small cages breaking their legs and necks then in open trucks down the road they go in freezing temps at 70mph. And lets see i have personally witnessed cow farms that use ball bats to hit their cows if they get in their way. I am not a city girl nor a spring chicken and I have been around. I dont go by here say I go by my own experience and my own eyes and again I will repeat no one said all are but their are more out there then you realize or maybe it is you are like some of us that dont want to think it is as common as it is. Not all people that are in this business are animal lovers and I think that is what makes the difference.

Quote:
There is no such thing as free range eggs, unless it is a small farm. The huge companies are not going to spend a penny to better the life of the animals. I do want to say that I don't despise people that treat there meat animals well, I just can't understand. I object to the factory farms because of the torture that goes on. I know this is rare but I saw a video of KFC chickens being trown against a wall for no reason. I still can't get the images out of my mind. Wow this thread has become really depressing
sad.png

Quote:
The only reason they peck eachother to death is because they don't have enough living space.

I have become much more careful with my food choices since joining this forum. I also read the book, "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" by Kingsolver which made me want to be more involved in raising my own food (meat and vegies). I too am often directed by my checkbook out of necessity, but am doing all I can to support the local, humane production of meat, eggs and milk. Baby steps. One change at a time. It is better for the animals for sure, but also better quality food for us.

Quote:
No the reality is that those cage free, pesticide free, organic this and that and the other eggs are WAY more expensive than others. Have you SEEN the price of them lately.

Normal eggs are like $1.50 a carton and those organic eggs are like way over $4 bucks. Milk is extremely high too....

The sad fact is that PRICE is driving what people buy, not where the chickens live.

If more organic and natural health food was less expensive, I'd eat it too. But that isn't the reality in todays market.

I can't afford to go on a diet, because I can't afford the lean, fat free, organic, natural foods and such. It all add's up to a very high price tag.

I sell my eggs for $2 a dozen, they aren't organic, they're natural, but still good for you. We buy our milk from local framers that sell raw milk. I was a vegeterean for about a year but now I only eat meat if I know where it comes from.

I am a meat lover and a vegie lover we raise chickens,cows and we sell eggs, pasture raised chickens,turkeys and beef that has been finish on grass ,this winter we are hoping to build a store here so people can come by and buy what they want instead of buying a 1/2 or a whole cow and our buissness is growing ,people will pay more if they know where it came from and how it was raised.
Aaron

Back
Top Bottom