I'm looking for budgie hatching eggs!

maggienchamp

Chirping
8 Years
Aug 22, 2011
I would like to attempt to hatch budgie eggs. Yes, I have read about how much care they require as babies and how difficult it is to raise them, but, with that said, I'd like to try
big_smile.png
So, if anyone has fertile budgie eggs they would be willing to sell me, that would be awesome! I found a couple online websites that supposedly sell them, but I don't trust it
hmm.png
Also, if anyone has ever done this before, and they have some tips or would like to share their experience so I know what I'm getting myself into, that would be great to! Thanks!

I agree with river otter.
I have mating Budgies and I take babies away from parents at about a month old, when feathers are coming in.
For the first few days they need to be fed alot, and it has to be the right temp. and they want to be warm, next to siblings. It is really hard.
I have a beautiful pair of babys that are 3 months old, I have tryed to sell them to some respectable buyers for $30.00 each,firm

Noone wants to pay that much,"which I don't get' because they are tame and so beautiful.

So I am keeping them....... I love them and have another pair of siblings from another clutch also.

If you live near sarasota fl. I can sell you a pair of beautiful tame baby budgies.
problem is people usually want everything for free..

Hello, did you find a reputable source for buying fertile budge eggs? My mom is also looking for a couple of eggs. She has two budges that are trying hard to be parents, but their eggs are not fertile.
Are your two birds different genders? if not, that can obviously pose a problem when trying to breed them.

Hey, Im a researcher from Rockefeller University doing some work with budgies. We are in desperate need for fertile eggs as our own flock has had trouble producing. This means that we now are looking to buy fertile eggs to be shipped to us. Do you believe that, even with padding and temperature control, the transportation would kill all viable eggs? Does this information come from experience or is there something you've read about this? Please let me know, it would really help us out a lot! Respond here or you can also email me at [email protected]
They will not make the trip....I physically have tried this before just to see if they would.. not one did they all where scrambled inside and or cracked

It is not only impossible to hatch shipped budgie eggs, but also pretty close to impossible to hand-raise them from day-olds. How will you keep them warm and proper humidity? Did you know their tissue-thin skin will crack if the humidity isn't right? They make special incubators for parrot chicks, but these cost a couple of hundred dollars.

Have you ever hand-fed any baby parrot? I have. You must get the formula the exact temperature and keep it that way, this is harder with small amounts, so to give your budgie 3 drops of formula (that's about how much a day-old would take per feeding) you'd have to make half a baby-food jar's worth - and then throw all the rest out. You can not be tempted to keep it for the next feeding, It spoils insanely fast, and you'll kill your uber-delicate chick.
That also gets really, really expensive.

A newly hatched budgie is about the size of your thumbnail. Have you ever handled a baby bird that small? Are you 100% positive that you can get a beak that tiny open and food down it without hurting/killing the chick? Because it is not going to raise it's head and open for you - it couldn't if it wanted to. It is so, so, SO easy to asphyxiate them, I kid you not.

Do you like sleep? Have you ever spent a couple of weeks feeding something every two hours around the clock? Really not fun. You need to be awake and alert enough to feed that delicate baby every hour and a half. If you have a job, how are you going to work around that? Will they let you take your baby incubator in to work and take a break every hour and a half?

So, basically, you'd be in a few hundred dollars and several deaths (I guarantee you that some WILL die) when you could have bought a perfectly healthy bird for 20 bucks.
I would just get a pair of budgies, let them breed and peek in the nestbox every day for your baby-fix. If you start to very gently handle the babies from the time they are 2 weeks old, they will be as friendly as hand-fed babies, without the work. Again, I know this from experience.

I agree with river otter.
I have mating Budgies and I take babies away from parents at about a month old, when feathers are coming in.
For the first few days they need to be fed alot, and it has to be the right temp. and they want to be warm, next to siblings. It is really hard.
I have a beautiful pair of babys that are 3 months old, I have tryed to sell them to some respectable buyers for $30.00 each,firm

Noone wants to pay that much,"which I don't get' because they are tame and so beautiful.

So I am keeping them....... I love them and have another pair of siblings from another clutch also.

If you live near sarasota fl. I can sell you a pair of beautiful tame baby budgies.
problem is people usually want everything for free..

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Artsy1, I really wish I lived near Florida! I would have absolutley no problem paying $30 for a tame baby budgie! I live in Connecticut, and I have had the hardest time finding a hand-tamed baby budgie around my area.

My plan is now to purchase a baby budgie that hopefuly I can pair up with my current budgie, Brooklyn. That way the parents can hatch and raise the babies, then I can pull the babies away around 3 or 4 weeks old to hand feed them as you said you do with your budgies, Artsy1.

Here are the links to a couple of cage bird clubs in CT;
http://cafabirdclub.org/adopt.htm
This one has some budgies for adoption. The "3 un-named parakeets" - one would likely pair up with your budgie. (if you get a baby you will have to wait a year before you let them breed, because while they can breed before that, but it is very stressful on their bodies)

And the other, http://connecticutparrotsociety.org/index.html

You are sure to find people who can teach you all about how to handfeed baby birds, and you may just find a handfed baby budgie as well.

Here are the links to a couple of cage bird clubs in CT;
http://cafabirdclub.org/adopt.htm
This one has some budgies for adoption. The "3 un-named parakeets" - one would likely pair up with your budgie. (if you get a baby you will have to wait a year before you let them breed, because while they can breed before that, but it is very stressful on their bodies)

And the other, http://connecticutparrotsociety.org/index.html

You are sure to find people who can teach you all about how to handfeed baby birds, and you may just find a handfed baby budgie as well.

Thanks! I'll look into some of those ads :)

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Artsy1, I really wish I lived near Florida! I would have absolutley no problem paying $30 for a tame baby budgie! I live in Connecticut, and I have had the hardest time finding a hand-tamed baby budgie around my area.

My plan is now to purchase a baby budgie that hopefuly I can pair up with my current budgie, Brooklyn. That way the parents can hatch and raise the babies, then I can pull the babies away around 3 or 4 weeks old to hand feed them as you said you do with your budgies, Artsy1.
Where in Connecticut are you? I am in New York, but go to connecticut a lot......

Back
Top Bottom