I'm loving the 6-chick minimum at TSC!!

Quote:
Chicken math, Molly, chicken math, lol. Hunny said I could only get 3- got him to agree to 6- once we got them, he fell in love, and I ordered 4 more this morning.
smile.png
Although, he did build for at least 12......
gig.gif

Tikki
smile.png

I really think it's how the local TSC manager trains the employees. If the manager is a hard a$$, and tells the worker bees, "SIX is the MINIMUM!", they won't negotiate. If you happen to be a regular, the manager is reasonable, etc., etc. you might have a chance. It's just business, and I suspect they really don't want to hear a gagillion stories a day, so they just say, SIX is the minimum.

That's my theory anyway. I say that because I tried to get less than six from the same worker bee who sold me the original SIX chicks, the feeder/waterer/Dumor feed/etc./etc. two weeks earlier. ("Remember me?" "Yes." Can I get four this time since I already got my six?" "No.")

As a side note, I'm kind of glad I got more chicks now. I've ended up with more Roos than I thought (or the TSC folks thought) so I'll be culling them, and still end up with a reasonable flock.

Mark

Last edited:
Guess it depends on your store. Went to TS 2 days ago and was pointing out the ones i wanted and after 4 he said he would go grab a box, well made him stop and grabbed 4 more. Now need to go back and get some more supplies and may see about a few more......uh-oh....

They are not as knoledgeable as i had hoped, a newbie here and bought my first chickens last year from a local after reading up the forums here and wanting some eggs sooner as well as pest control so bought some older layers. Now a new learning curve, got the chicks and reading as much as I can to see what I need to do. They are just too darn cute and thinking about a few more. might need to start a new thread on mine for all the questions I have but any way for a newbie to id their chicks? and not sure if there are any males in the mix after reading some threads or not. So TS sells whatever or???

I only wanted 2 chicks to replace the 2 hens we lost through the winter. Didn't want 6 because that would be too many for the set up I have. I told my husband I would hang out till someone else came in to buy chicks and split an order with them. Only took about 5 minutes before a woman came in that only wanted 5. We split an order and we both left happy. Don't know if TSC employees were real happy, but it saved me a two hour trip to Myer hatchery. When we got to the car my husband just bust out laughing.

I only buy from stores who give the customers what they want - if I want 2 chicks and the manager won't give me what I want I go elsewhere to spend my money -why support a store that doesn't have a customer first policy - after all there are many places to buy chicks -

Quote:
a reasonable flock... until next year at chick days...
gig.gif

I am lucky - I have been going to the TSC since last year when I bought my first chicks for feed - so I bought my first 6 this summer - then had to get 3 more... i had the room for six - but the wallet space for only 3 - so they let me do it.

Last edited:
I guess it also depends on the store employees or manager.

I lost one of my little RIR's after 5 days of purchase.

I had only bought two; so I was left with one.

I went (receipt in hand) back to TSC to get 3 more, and they said NO.

My receipt showed I had purchased a total of 14 chicks from them.

I explained that the chick failed to thrive and I wanted to replace it along with buying a couple more.

NO!

So now I only have one RIR. But I have an EE that almost looks like a RIR.

big_smile.png

Quote:
Weird, this part of western ma, about 30-40mins from Albany NY, the TSC sells chicks w/ minimum order of 6, ducks is 24. I managed to get 2 because someone else only wanted 4.

Quote:
Did you talk to the youngish dark haired guy that works the desk back where the chick bins are? When I first discovered that at least one and probably two of my BA "pullets" I bought there the first day of Chick Days were roos, I discussed with him my options and he was more than willing to let me do about anything to make it right. He really doesn't like Chick Days and appeared to be willing to do anything to get those chicks out the door and out of his hair. It might be all in who you talk to in the Staunton store. I finally came to decide I am okay with one roo, so I didn't go back for a replacement, so I don't actually know what they would do for real, but this guy stated several things he would do and none of them included me buying six more chicks.

Back
Top Bottom