I'm making a free flock management system

BYC member Whiteconfections already has his program "The Chick Chart" already made and available for sale. Have you checked this out before starting on something new?

I would be very interested in this sort of program.
Maybe you could also put something for incubating staggered hatches too like some sort of chart to keep an eye on developement.
And free is always good.
hide.gif
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
Yes, and that's why I'm hesitating to start. However, Whiteconfections's program costs $25, and $30 for the Gold edition if you want updates and extra features like chick records. Also, it only works on Microsoft Windows, which excludes the about 8% of people that use Mac or Linux.

If someone would prefer The Chick Chart over mine, please let me know why. If not many people would want mine I won't make it.

Quote:
wee.gif
Great idea! Maybe even show a pic of what the chicks look like at the current stage of development.
Sort of like:

You have 10 Leghorn chicks in incubator 1 which will hatch on 1-16-2009. Then a pic of a chick at one week old.
---------------------------------------
You have 8 Silver Spangled Hamburgs and 3 silkies under <either the hens name if you have given one, or else Hen #3> which will hatch on 1-23-2009. The a pic on an egg since this is their first day under the hen.

Quote:
What language is it written it? Would you be willing to share the source?

It's actually just VBA in Access. What language were you going to use? I can share, but I don't have it with me now. Could easily be adapted, went off an idea in a magazine...a coworker asked me if i could make it for her.

Last edited:
Quote:
wee.gif
Great idea! Maybe even show a pic of what the chicks look like at the current stage of development.
Sort of like:

You have 10 Leghorn chicks in incubator 1 which will hatch on 1-16-2009. Then a pic of a chick at one week old.
---------------------------------------
You have 8 Silver Spangled Hamburgs and 3 silkies under <either the hens name if you have given one, or else Hen #3> which will hatch on 1-23-2009. The a pic on an egg since this is their first day under the hen.

Awesome idea... I hadn't put incubating/hatch management into mine.

Another idea... Ability to upload and store images of individual birds...to help with genealogy. You could perhaps look at a "family tree," then click on an individual to go to a window with images, bird's name, lineage information/contact info of breeder, awards won, bird description (flaws/etc.), stuff like that.

Back
Top Bottom