Lulu is still locked up tighter than fort Knox back there.:(
Well, Rosie laid her first egg! She managed to lay it in the coop, in the middle of the floor. I cant even believe she did it in the coop, I thought for sure her eggs would just fall out of her as she walks around the yard :confused:. I now have 6 out of 11 laying!

My senior citizen neighbors watch mine. They worry about the chickens more than i do. Lady called me last week to tell me Susan was missing feathers...and i had to explain molting to a seventy year old. ;)
LOL I had to explain molting to my 40-something coworker this morning as I was telling her that Ash was naked, but her feathers are growing back. I hadn't noticed, but apparently she didn't have any tail feathers. My daughter pointed it out... she looked ridiculous.

Well, Rosie laid her first egg! She managed to lay it in the coop, in the middle of the floor. I cant even believe she did it in the coop, I thought for sure her eggs would just fall out of her as she walks around the yard :confused:. I now have 6 out of 11 laying!
Congrats!!!!! You're beating the average then!

Mine have slowed their laying. I think they heard me say I was going to sell some of their eggs at a bake sale for my daughter's competition team. That's what I get for trying to be lazy and not have to bake a lot. The past few days we're down to 5-6 a day from a steady 8 a day. IDK if it's the light, I put a light in their coop a week ago, it's on from 6 am - 7:30, then turns on at 4- 8 pm... I might give them an extra 1/2 hr in the am of light. Plus a new water dish, and a hanging feeder. I also installed a sliding door to their chicken door in the coop so they aren't able to go outside until about 745 am (I go over after I drop off the kids at school and let them out). It's partially b/c we had something trying to get into the run the other day, and partially b/c of the cold nights that are happening. I did give them some warm mash this am hoping that they'll come to like their morning treat and accept being locked up during the winter months. I was thinking about putting something up to kind of block the cold from coming in to the coop so I could leave the door open, but I can't think of anything that would help. Anyway.. IDK if it's too much change or if it's the light. I'm hoping they pick back up though.
I had one lay her egg on the poop tray this morning. Luckily I use PDZ and it was in a clean spot.
About the roosters. I have 2. Odin, the leghorn who is slightly aggressive. I can do stuff around him, like a week or 2 ago I was building a box in his run to give him more space and block the wind coming in from his chicken door and he didn't bother me at all. Then when I was painting it a few days later he came over and hung out with me & didn't give me any problems. Then Sunday I was putting some silicone around the edges and had my daughter lock me in the run b/c I didn't want him to get out and he didn't mess w/ me at all. He's all alone in his space. But when he's out he'll follow me around and give me some attitude sometimes by lunging at me. Other times he just hangs out and does his rooster thing and isn't a problem at all. I'm really hoping once he gets out of the teenager hormone overload stage he'll be more like the nice version. I swear he's bipolar. Then there's Willie, a BBOE bantam who is a turd, but not bad. He'll peck at your ankles & outright attacks my daughter's fancy chickening boots, but he's pretty much harmless b/c he's about the size of a big can of beans.

Aww surely you'll get one nice fella out of those. Good that they're bantams if they get out of hand you can just stick them in a shoe box or something. Mr.Cletus wasn't mean he just wanted attention and if i wasn't fast enough i got bit. He was just way too big for me to deal with him and his demands. He was a cute little chick, always did look a little like a buzzard though. :)
Y’all are killing me with the rooster stories. I have at least 3, 8 week old cockerels and not sure about the Silkies. I sold one Silkies that was either a rooster or a giant, boosy, B. This is my first experience with roosters. They are all Bantams.
20170509_110620.jpg
20170502_150904.jpg
20170418_122304.jpg

I'm really hoping once he gets out of the teenager hormone overload stage he'll be more like the nice version. I swear he's bipolar. Then there's Willie, a BBOE bantam who is a turd, but not bad. He'll peck at your ankles & outright attacks my daughter's fancy chickening boots, but he's pretty much harmless b/c he's about the size of a big can of beans.

Yeah, we were hoping for the teenage hormones to dissipate as well. He was a great flock protector though -- no butterflies or songbirds dared to enter the back yard, nor were bunnies safe. lol. Dennis got really cagey and smart too. He caught me a few times without the Water Wand of Death (the hose), and he charged me from across the yard! He wouldn't actively charge me if I had the hose -- but it was a sprint to get it a few times. I had to use a roofing shingle (you know how big those are -- not big at all) as a shield once!

His new Mom really loves him though. She calls him her "benevolent serial killer" (he has such a crazy *look*).

Aww surely you'll get one nice fella out of those. Good that they're bantams if they get out of hand you can just stick them in a shoe box or something. Mr.Cletus wasn't mean he just wanted attention and if i wasn't fast enough i got bit. He was just way too big for me to deal with him and his demands. He was a cute little chick, always did look a little like a buzzard though. :)
View attachment 1186709 View attachment 1186710 View attachment 1186711

There's nothing "little" about him as a chick, either!!

Must be Easter egger craziness. When i started chickens again i got an accidental EE roo, that was Susan number 1. Susan number 1 was a pain in the butt, always jumping the fence and of course everybody else would follow. I traded Susan number 1 for Susan number 2 after i finally convinced hubby Susan 1 was a boy. It was pretty obvious but for whatever reason it took forever to get it though his head. This is Hubert and Susan 1, Susan is the black one "had to give Hubert away after he became a sexual deviant." Have to add Hubert is Cletus's dad,so might have a little to do with his "personality."
Yeah, we were hoping for the teenage hormones to dissipate as well. He was a great flock protector though -- no butterflies or songbirds dared to enter the back yard, nor were bunnies safe. lol. Dennis got really cagey and smart too. He caught me a few times without the Water Wand of Death (the hose), and he charged me from across the yard! He wouldn't actively charge me if I had the hose -- but it was a sprint to get it a few times. I had to use a roofing shingle (you know how big those are -- not big at all) as a shield once!

His new Mom really loves him though. She calls him her "benevolent serial killer" (he has such a crazy *look*).
20161018_162440.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom