I'm new... Help?

ArisDi

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 3, 2014
Hello, I'm delighted to say I've finally entered the Wonderful World of Chickens
jumpy.gif
! As excited as I am, I also have a few difficult questions and concerns that MAYBE some of you lovely, experienced poultry owners could help me sort out? Now, I know sexing is difficult at such a young age, but would you care to take a glimpse at some of the pictures I have included?

These are my Brahmas with the black wingtips (excuse my messy brooder... cleaning it out today):

The one in front has shorter wings with less feathers.

Notice how the Brahma in front has lengthier, more spread out wings and is feathering quicker, even though they're the same age?

The one to the left is the one I believe is a female... Any opinions?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

NOW, I have one more question... doesn't the comb on the larger, older of the two Lavender Orps seem to be little too big, flashy and red to be a pullet? And does it seem to early for the younger one to have a comb like that? I should also mention that the small one has very bunched up, tight wings, which I've heard can indicate roo... But I don't know if this is true. I know no one can know for positive, but thoughts? These two are probably the biggest "chickens" of all... Sure don't act like brave males
lau.gif
!

Thanks a million for your time and assistance
love.gif
!!!

Last edited:
A bit too early to tell...just watch and wait for more confirmation.

You may have one roo and pullet, as siblings are the best way to tell if they come from the same parents. If they are hatchery stock though, they could simply be maturing at different rates due to different parents.

So maybe yes...or no...just watch. You'll know more in a few weeks.

Lady of McCamley

and
welcome-byc.gif

I think with your Lavender Orpingtons, you have one cockerel and one pullet based on comb development. As for your other chicks, nothing screams cockerel to me, but it is somewhat young to tell.

I think with your Lavender Orpingtons, you have one cockerel and one pullet based on comb development. As for your other chicks, nothing screams cockerel to me, but it is somewhat young to tell.
Thank you for answering! I actually do believe my GL Cochin may be a male since he's the cock of the walk and not very skittish at all, but if I have two roos (especially from what I've read about them being very docile breeds) it'll be all right, I think. Getting three more hens so I'll have 14 total.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom