1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I'm new here and getting some chickens...

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ArashiZInazuma, Sep 28, 2015.

1. ArashiZInazuma

ArashiZInazuma New Egg

Sep 28, 2015
    I plan to get Barred Rocks, Black Australorps, Easter Eggers (mixed with a Welsummer rooster), Blue Orpingtons, & Black Orpingtons. All are docile, but I'm worried that some may become more dominant because they are fresh-out-of-the-egg, or 2 weeks old, so pracitally straight run. My county doesn't allow roosters, or more than 6 chickens. (full grown) What should I do with the undesired* males?
    Thanks,
    Arashi
    *They aren't truly undesired; if the county allowed it they would be desired. :)

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

You can try rehoming, but that's nearly impossible for most breeds, since few people want roosters. Roosters do, however, make a great stew. If you have any you get attached to, you might consider caponization as an alternative to rehoming or butchering, if you can find someone local to perform the operation or are willing to do it yourself.

3. hightopmetalmes

hightopmetalmes New Egg

Sep 29, 2015
    China

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by