I'm new to chickens . . . is this strange?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by pdxblossom, Jul 22, 2010.

1. pdxblossom

pdxblossom Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    This is my first flock. Three chicks, two light brahma pullets (I hope) and one Black Australorp cockerel. They are only 4 - 5 weeks old and still in the indoor brooder. They will be there until the coop is finished/delivered in two weeks.

Anyway, when they are inside in the 3 x 2 brooder they get along famously. I have observed no pecking or aggression. When we take them outside (daily for 1 - 3 hours) they get to free range the yard. Mostly they just follow each other around scratching in the dirt and grass. Occasionally though, the cockerel will suddenly run over to one of the other chicks and kind of stand up all tall and puffed out - almost like a challenge. There is no pecking, but it seems sort of aggressive. A couple of times he's done that and the other chick will sort of challenge him back. I can't explain it exactly.

My better half thinks it's just play. I think I agree, but want to make sure that things are groovy for the chickens.

The cockerel is going to be re-located in a couple of weeks (he's illegal here). I'm going to miss him a lot. We're getting three to replace him (ha ha).

Thanks!

2. pdxblossom

Jul 11, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Here is the "big guy" and his girls outside the other day . . .

[​IMG]

3. Dingleberry

Dingleberry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    Woodinville
    Yes it is normal. even the two girls alone will do this. chest bumping. He is just saying "I am taller than you, na na" [​IMG]

4. ekemily

ekemily Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Fairhope, AL
    totally normal [​IMG]

5. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    No, it's very normal-I have 2 little chicks that hatched Sat-Sun and they are already posturing at each other-they like to start establishing pecking order right off the bat.
    He's really cute!

6. MaggieRae

MaggieRae Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    North Texas
    My gals did that all the time. They're getting their pecking order established. I wouldn't worry about it too much unless there's actual pecking going on.
    I kept an eye on it, but mine never actually got violent.

7. Amyable

Amyable Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Greenleaf, WI
    I have a flock (my first one too) of straight run birds of mixed breeds, and I see a lot of stand-offs. Pullets or cockerals, they run up to one another and have a stare down, sometimes some aggression and jumping too. I assume they're working out their pecking order. Most of my birds are 8 weeks, some older, some younger. As long as nobody's drawing blood...

8. pdxblossom

Jul 11, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Thanks for making me feel better! And yes, he is cute. He looks like a teenage boy who just got out of bed . . . all disheveled and confused. His name is Stink.

9. StormyMoon

StormyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2010
    Alvarado, TX
    My pullets do the ( BUMP Chest ) thing and fluff up and then go back to what ever they was doing.....its funny to watch no one tries to hurt the other.

10. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    They like to play "chicken" will run at each other to see who will veer first--sometimes neither does then they chest bump.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by