1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

i'm new to raising quail but i'm going to try it next spring.

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Flock Runner, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Flock Runner

Flock Runner Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2011
    i was thinking about getting new birds in the spring. i know i'm getting more hens but i also want to get 2 or 3 quail and let them free range. will this work? is raising quailany different from raising ducks and chickens? also, are quail loud? and what are their temperments? will the quail go anywhere durring winter or, if i raise them properly, will they stay around(and i will give them a little barn/shed/coop to stay in), and will i have to clip their wings? also, what do i do if i end up with quail eggs? are they edible, or will they hatch? are quail broody, or like some breeds of chicken that just leave their eggs? if the quail "multiply" i don't want dead babies everywhere. also, what if i end up with either 2 mails and 1 female or all males?! will they hurt eachother? or should i only get 1 to begin with? if i do, will i have to wory about it being lonely? i know this is a lot of questions but answers for any of them would be greatly appreciated.
    i am a clueless one when it comes to quail [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Flock Runner

Nov 27, 2011
    sry i frgot to include this. i'd like to know some things that you do.

3. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    Quote:answers are in bold, check out all the stickys at the top of the quail forum as well.

4. bfrancis

bfrancis Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Okmulgee Co, Oklahoma
    Quote:I answered in bold, This will answer a lot of your questions https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=282488 ... after you read the info there, choose a species, then get into specific questions would probably workout better.

In my opinion, if you've never had quail before, start out with coturnix...they are a good introductory bird.

5. bfrancis

Mar 30, 2010
    Okmulgee Co, Oklahoma
    Quote:answers are in bold, check out all the stickys at the top of the quail forum as well.

[​IMG] [​IMG] We're were typing at the same time...

6. Flock Runner

Nov 27, 2011
    thanks! i'll build them a coop and a nice big running yard!(about 1000 sq ft per bird! or is that too big? lol!)

7. bfrancis

Mar 30, 2010
    Okmulgee Co, Oklahoma
    Quote:1 sq ft per bird is fine... [​IMG] You might do a search of quail runs/housing...they won't use a coop like a chicken. There are lots of ideas in this forum.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  8. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    very tru, i know a few people that had used a run, they stopped, the birds kinda just stay out there, and don't move around, they stick around the food lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by