I'm new! :)

WoodsysChickens

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 10, 2014
Hello everyone! My name is Jessica and I have a question. I have a chicken that broke its toe when a baby. The are just over a year old. About a month ago she seemed to be limping. I figured she just jumped off the roost wrong. (Don't worry, will be fixing the no ladder to the roost soon.) But about a week ago I noticed the limping had gotten much worse, she was a little slower Andy you could tell she was hurt. But then I looked closer and right where her broken toe joint is is a swollen spot. Is it bumble foot? Should I treat it like that. I'm guessing I'm going to have to pick her up and take a closer look. Thanks for any help pals,

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Yes, this could be bumble foot.
It’s caused by a cut or abrasion on a chicken’s foot which becomes infected. After it is infected, it will begin to swell. It then is covered by a bad bacteria that can be harmful to humans so watch what you do when treating a chicken with bumble foot. It’s possible to prevent bumble foot by keeping your flock safe from abrasion. Also keep your chickens’ roosts smooth and free from splinters. Another thing to do is frequently check your chickens’ coop and run for any nails, glass or other objects that might harm their feet.
The key to treating this problem is finding it early. Then soak the foot with warm water and epsom salt to soften it. Next, squeeze the foot pad area and remove the splinter. (If there is white puss coming out, continue to squeeze as this is the infection.) Apply hydrogen peroxide to the wound and wrap it up with a bandage. Use chickweed and rosemary after the process as these are calming and pain reliving herbs. (You may also have to keep the bird secluded from the rest of the flock until he is ready to not have a bandage on his foot. In other words, the flock members will more than likely peck at the bandage and cause more stress on him.)

Here's some links too.

http://www.fresh-eggs-daily.com/2012/03/bumblefoot.html
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2011/07/bumblefoot-causes-treatment-warning.html

Welcome to BYC, Jessica! You've received some good advice from the other BYC members. I hope your injured chicken will be okay. Good luck.

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Yes, this could be bumble foot.
It’s caused by a cut or abrasion on a chicken’s foot which becomes infected. After it is infected, it will begin to swell. It then is covered by a bad bacteria that can be harmful to humans so watch what you do when treating a chicken with bumble foot. It’s possible to prevent bumble foot by keeping your flock safe from abrasion. Also keep your chickens’ roosts smooth and free from splinters. Another thing to do is frequently check your chickens’ coop and run for any nails, glass or other objects that might harm their feet.
The key to treating this problem is finding it early. Then soak the foot with warm water and epsom salt to soften it. Next, squeeze the foot pad area and remove the splinter. (If there is white puss coming out, continue to squeeze as this is the infection.) Apply hydrogen peroxide to the wound and wrap it up with a bandage. Use chickweed and rosemary after the process as these are calming and pain reliving herbs. (You may also have to keep the bird secluded from the rest of the flock until he is ready to not have a bandage on his foot. In other words, the flock members will more than likely peck at the bandage and cause more stress on him.)

Here's some links too.

http://www.fresh-eggs-daily.com/2012/03/bumblefoot.html
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2011/07/bumblefoot-causes-treatment-warning.html
Mountain Peeps has said a mouthful here! If you run into any further issues you can post a question in our emergency section.

I hope your bird makes a full recovery.

Welcome to our flock!

Well I posted in the emergencies thread and no one seemed to answer me and I had posted a picture?
That is not bumblefoot. That is either an injury, a break or possibly gout. Is she walking on it at all? Gout generally doesn't cause too much pain. If she is really limping or can't stand on it, it may be broken and is trying to heal. I am not sure what you can do with that. I don't think it is infected. Is it hot and red?

Back
Top Bottom