Im not finding sand under the roost as easy as I've heard!!

Quote:
I'm with you on this one! I certainly don't want to be out there on my hands and knees sifting and pooper scooping! LOL No poop boards... just DLM!
wink.png

Now you got me on this one. I have seen no need to clean it out completely. The only place that needs cleaning is under the roost. The rest of it the chickens just walk on, on their way outside. Sickness with the chickens I haven't seen either. I clean while the poop is wet within and hour after they leave for the morning. I just haven't had the problems you ask about. But if I didn't have or need to clean it all out, think about picking up 6 sacks of playsand. The linoleum is under the sand so washing it would be just like cleaning your kitchen floor.

Quote:
I thought i got kids playsand but when i looked at the bag it says -- all purpose sand. Made by quikrete. Did i get the wrong sand??

Not all sand is the same. Paver sand is finer. Play sand is great. I clean my coop with a trowel and large dustpan. Under the roosts I have boot mats. I clean once a day, sometimes more if I am out there. I like to cuddle my hens and want them to have clean feet!

I had a problem with the sand not clumping, and I was having to replace the sand every week. I switched to shavings and it has worked much better. I sprinkle new shavings on top every day, and then clean it out with a shovel ever 3-4 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom