I'm not smarter than a 5th grader

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by murphysranch, Sep 14, 2009.

1. murphysranch

murphysranch Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2009
    Murphys CA
    because I can only count to 8.

Yup, I have 8 Jersey Giants, about 6 and 5 weeks old (1/2 and 1/2). I let them out of their dog crate a couple of times a day to range under my supervision. I'm now stupid...I constantly count to eight, like every 20 minutes or so. Once I counted to 7 and about had a heart attack until I was able to finish counting to eight.

This is a life long dream to own chickens, and now at 54, I'm doing it! I have three dogs and two cats. The two cattle dogs are polar opposites - one is totally disinterested in the chicks and the other one whines and pants, but since she is elderly, she's not a clear threat. The Border Collie was my baby, protector, and was so cute to lie down and let them peck at him, pull on his coat, etc. That was until today....I heard loud baby squawking and found the BC with a 5 wk old in his mouth. So he is now banned from enjoying chickens clucking around the dirt. Our two cats are also afraid of the chickens, and are more interested in sleeping in the unfinished house or the trailer we are living in.

Just had this thought this morning, as I was again, counting to eight.... [​IMG]

2. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

um... my 2 year old can count to 8... I feel your pain though, I've got to count to 14 every night, and some nights, like last night, someone was hiding or moving or something, and I kept getting 13.... i had the right number of each kind, and THAT added up to 14, but just on a head by head basis, I kept getting 13... grrrr.

My BC liked to chew on our chicks, and would hop over the fence and grab one, then hop out and get it really wet and upset... then, finally, she popped one, and got in some serious trouble with me... that was the last dog-chicken fatality, though she does LOVE to chase my roo! She chases him for hours, until I make her stop so he can catch his breath... it's hilarious.. i honestly think that they both enjoy it, because he goes slowish, and jumps a lot, and never really tries to get away, just a lot of running and jumping, and she could catch him in a heartbeat if she wanted to, but I think they both enjoy the game...

3. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Olympia Washington
    I thought I was the only one doing the counting.

I didn't name my 3 BRs, 3 BO's or 2 RIR's because they look so much alike and I initially got dual purpose for eggs and meat.

My first chicks at age 50 too. I have grown quite fond of these 8 fuzzy butts. For me, it's easier to glance to see that I do have 3 - 3 - and 2.

About a month ago I only had 2 - 3 - and 2. I kept counting thinking I must be off. No - sure enough I'm missing one BR from the roost. Not out in the dark run, not in the coop, there she was in the nest box. Poor things been sitting in the nest box going on 4 wks now. I don't have any roos, so I've been taking the egg each day.

4. yellowchickensmomma

yellowchickensmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Every night at lockdown I have to count my EE chicks. All 15. They move faster at lockdown than they do all day long. Anytime I start to count 1,2,3,6,7,8,10,14. Where did they all go. I missed some one night.[​IMG] Man what a long night.

5. Oh dear, counting? how much I hate counting! Oh well, I'll let my son, age 4, do the counting. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by