I'm not sure if this is normal....

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PAchickenlover, Aug 28, 2011.

1. PAchickenlover

PAchickenlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    I have five silky chicks, one of them has a bump on the top of its head. Is this normal? Does it mean it is a Roo/Hen? Or is it a possable birth defect? I have never raised Silky chicks before and have no idea, so any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Mollie

2. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

The bump is called a "vaulted skull" and is considered very desirable among some breeders.as it can accentuate the "pom pom". Because it is a bit like the soft spot on a new born baby, injuries can happen. I have twelve new silkie chicks and most are vaulted. [​IMG] You will love your silkies. Five will never be enough! [​IMG]

3. PAchickenlover

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    I have the hen that hatched the chicks also and another Black Silky hen that came witha baby Duckling. So I guess I have 7 total. How will I be able to tell if the chicks are roosters or pullets? Is it like other breeds? I love the silkies so far but like I said I don't know much about them. I bid on these at an Auction. It was a whim and I am glad for it. Thanks for your information.

4. peepblessed

Quote:Silkies are the hardest breed to sex and often you don't know until they crow or lay an egg. When they are about 8 - 10 weeks, you can post photos of them on this site and the experts will help you. (I am not one of them! LOL) [​IMG]

5. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    HOnestly, I was told the bump on its' head means it's a roosterQ!!!!!!!!!!!!! And, one of mine has it and it is a rooster [​IMG]

6. PAchickenlover

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    Oh ok thank you i had no idea it was so hard to sex silkies.

7. peepblessed

Quote:Definitely not true unless you're talking about the walnut shaped comb. It can be rather large! [​IMG]

8. peepblessed

The little white chick in my avatar has the bump I'm talking about! [​IMG]

9. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Then my rooster must be the only one with that bump - the hens don't have it
    Strange

10. Sportsterjeep

Sportsterjeep Creekside Acres Farm

Jun 1, 2010
    Mill Hall PA
    The bump is a vaulted skull. Almost every silkie line will throw the occasional vault. Some silkie breeders like us(Creekside Acres) and Bad Azz Silkies breed for this trait and throw a higher percentage of vaulted babies. Depending on who Im breeding to who, it could be in the 75% to 90% bracket. This vault has no bearing on the sex of the chick, all of my roos and hens that are in my breeding pens are vaulted. I'll include a good pic of a vaulted baby for you.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by