I'm not sure if this is normal....

PAchickenlover

Songster
8 Years
Jun 29, 2011
York
I have five silky chicks, one of them has a bump on the top of its head. Is this normal? Does it mean it is a Roo/Hen? Or is it a possable birth defect? I have never raised Silky chicks before and have no idea, so any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Mollie

The bump is called a "vaulted skull" and is considered very desirable among some breeders.as it can accentuate the "pom pom". Because it is a bit like the soft spot on a new born baby, injuries can happen. I have twelve new silkie chicks and most are vaulted.
smile.png
You will love your silkies. Five will never be enough!
big_smile.png

I have the hen that hatched the chicks also and another Black Silky hen that came witha baby Duckling. So I guess I have 7 total. How will I be able to tell if the chicks are roosters or pullets? Is it like other breeds? I love the silkies so far but like I said I don't know much about them. I bid on these at an Auction. It was a whim and I am glad for it. Thanks for your information.

Quote:
Silkies are the hardest breed to sex and often you don't know until they crow or lay an egg. When they are about 8 - 10 weeks, you can post photos of them on this site and the experts will help you. (I am not one of them! LOL)
lol.png

The bump is a vaulted skull. Almost every silkie line will throw the occasional vault. Some silkie breeders like us(Creekside Acres) and Bad Azz Silkies breed for this trait and throw a higher percentage of vaulted babies. Depending on who Im breeding to who, it could be in the 75% to 90% bracket. This vault has no bearing on the sex of the chick, all of my roos and hens that are in my breeding pens are vaulted. I'll include a good pic of a vaulted baby for you.
59227_dscn0781.jpg

Back
Top Bottom