1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I'm not sure of breed or sex

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by augiedranch, Oct 20, 2015.

1. augiedranch

augiedranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Texas
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. CherriesBrood

CherriesBrood Chicken Photographer Premium Member

The white one is a white leghorn male, and the red one is a Rhode Island Red female.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    How old are your birds? I agree that the white one is a White Leghorn, but in the profile shot of it (4th picture down), unless it is younger than I think it is, it looks like a pullet to me. Also, given the lightness its red shade and the lack of body depth, I think the red one is actually a Production Red pullet although it may well have been marketed by a hatchery as a Rhode Island Red. Technically speaking, there is little or no difference between Production Reds, hatchery quality Rhode Island Reds, and hatchery quality New Hampshires except the specific shade of red. If their red gene birds are of a darker shade of red (closer to mahogany), the hatcheries usually market them as RIRs. If they are of a lighter shade of red (closer to chestnut), they usually market them as New Hampshires (or sometimes by the totally incorrect name of New Hampshire Reds). And if the shade of red is somewhere down the middle or uneven, they market them as Production Reds.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
  5. CherriesBrood

CherriesBrood Chicken Photographer Premium Member

Yes, but I think that's a differnt white leghorn.

6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I just saw augiedranch's other post and I agree that it is, and given the size and redness of its comb at only 9 weeks (he gives the age in the other post), I agree that the White Leghorn in the bottom pic is a cockerel. :eek:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by