Sex and Breed.

PopPop63

In the Brooder
Jan 14, 2024
Can you guys offer a guess as to breed and sex? These chicks are cross breed (except for the Buff Orpingtons) and a bit over 4 weeks.

Attachments

• Chicks numbered.png
    Chicks numbered.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 37
2 is a cockerel. Looks to be a Wyandotte cross.

7 is probably a cockerel. It is splash in color, but couldn't say which breed. Maybe Orpington cross, but who knows for sure?

9 is a cockerel. Blue Autralorp or Sapphire Gem cross? Could be a lot of things.

So those are your boys, although they are young and you could have a couple of more.

4 and 5 are a little suspicious, so I'd watch them. I think they are probably Wyandotte crosses.

8 is most likely a pullet. It has a beard, so maybe an Easter egger.

3, 10 and the buff Orps look to be pullets. 3 and 10 could be Australorp crosses.

7 is probably a cockerel. It is splash in color, but couldn't say which breed. Maybe Orpington cross, but who knows for sure?

9 is a cockerel. Blue Autralorp or Sapphire Gem cross? Could be a lot of things.

So those are your boys, although they are young and you could have a couple of more.

4 and 5 are a little suspicious, so I'd watch them. I think they are probably Wyandotte crosses.

3, 10 and the buff Orps look to be pullets. 3 and 10 could be Australorp crosses.

ok which are you calling 7? i intended for the one that looks very white in the photo to be 7.

Yes, that's the one. It looks like a potential cockerel. Its coloring is gray white, which is called splash in chickens.
i thought splash was dark splashed with light. This in real life looks like a lavender orpington. and i know they do have some of those on site where i got the eggs. The 2 buff orpingtons were laid her by my buff orpington and a BO roo.

i thought splash was dark splashed with light. This in real life looks like a lavender orpington. and i know they do have some of those on site where i got the eggs. The 2 buff orpingtons were laid her by my buff orpington and a BO roo.
Splash is extremely variable. I am seeing some small darker splashes on that one, but it could also be lavender. I just wouldn't expect the lavender color from mixed breeds, because to get that color you need lavender genes from both parents.

Splash is extremely variable. I am seeing some small darker splashes on that one, but it could also be lavender. I just wouldn't expect the lavender color from mixed breeds, because to get that color you need lavender genes from both parents.
they do have roos and hens that are lavender

Back
Top Bottom