im not sure what to do

CalChickens

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jan 31, 2010
i live in marin county, CA and was wondering what is happening to one of my hens. I have four: two BO's and two silver laced wyndottes. This one is the most shy and is a silverlaced whyndotte. recently i have notice lots of feathers in the coop of different colors. i thought maybe they were just molting but notice this hen (penny) had barely any feathers on the back of her neck, but the stubbs. she also doesn't seem to have that many tail feathers either. anyone help? thank you

Actually, that does sound a lot like molting. Some of mine molt and replace and you never really notice. A couple of them though will go almost completely bald and only have pitiful little pin feathers. They look like porcupines! If your girl is actually normal, then just keep an eye on her. She should start fluffing out soon.
smile.png

edited to add- my hardest molter is a golden laced wyandotte. The silver laced wyandotte is the next hardest molter. Maybe it is the breed?

Last edited:
Have you checked her for lice?? Thought my Wellie hens were molting ........lots of feathers missing........back of head included.......picked them up today to check for feather regrowth and found lice all over them - - I feel so guilty for thinking they were just molting.....
sad.png

....treated with Ivermectin topically and dusted inside the coop with Poultry Dust - - - am hoping that works!

Back
Top Bottom