Im not to sure how to....Update..its finished! pics on post 15

duck&chickencrazy :

i am going to connect this coop to my old dog kennel and so the chickens will only be in it at night (so i didnt really want alot of ventilation going throught it) becuase i will let them out before i go to work (7am) and then at 8 30 i would put them away.

At night is the most important time for there to be good ventilation in their coop b/c that's when all the droppings let off the ammonia gas. You might want to take a few minutes to read this very helpful page on ventilation: https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=1642-VENTILATION

duck&chickencrazy :

Quote:
At night is the most important time for there to be good ventilation in their coop b/c that's when all the droppings let off the ammonia gas. You might want to take a few minutes to read this very helpful page on ventilation: https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=1642-VENTILATION

if i need to include ventilation, how do you think i should do it?​

The how-tos are my husband's department, sorry! Maybe you could start a new thread for advice on that or do some searches to see what turns up, but you definitely need ventilation in ANY coop of any size or shape.

ok so i posted on here a while back asking what i could do for my roof for a "Minni Coop" that i was making.
When i asked for everybodys oppinion i had people tell me that i should make it taller and put some roosts in for the birds. And to make the roof into a hinged roof. So i did and i also painted it red after i sealed the cracks! I know its not amazing and beautiful but it is safe from predators during the night and thats all i really needed and my ventalation will be leaving the roof open during the day with a mesh fence peice covering the opening

And i still need to make a few tweaks to it...like finish painting the walls on the inside and cutting off the screw "stubs" i tried cutting them off with a heavy duty wire cutter but it only cut it off a little so i will have to buy one that does a better job

here is a pic of the inside, there are 2 roosts availible to the birds now
19331_img_0922.jpg

here is a picture of what it looks like on the outside with the "lid" open
19331_img_0924.jpg

and when it is shut
19331_img_0931.jpg

and of course the door and the chickens that will be living in it! they seem to like it already! they are exploring it and loving it!
19331_img_0926.jpg

19331_img_0925.jpg

Last edited:
Amy - I think you did a great job on your coop. Your chickies are going to love you AND their new home.

I would like to make one suggestion . . . please do your little friends a big favor and put some ventilation openings in the new coop. Cut 4 holes (two on each side) and cover them with some 1/2 inch galvanized wire screen. Nail the screen onto the coop with plenty of nails so the 'coons cannot tear it off. Take a look at the photo below. Don't worry about the cold air in the winter - your chickens are OK in cold weather.

Image1.jpg

If your flat roof leaks in the rain or built up snow you could find a tarp to cover it but you must not cover the ventilation openings. Ventilation is VERY important. Keep up the excellent work.
smile.png

Quote:
well if i did something like that could i possibly make it so i can shut it and kinda make it like a door...but not a door i would still have the screen on it...im just afraid it will get really cold and they will freeze...i have had birds before that lost their combs and some toes to the cold...

Last edited:
Yeah that sounds like a good idea. You could put the galvanized hardware cloth on the inside and the little doors on the outside.

Back
Top Bottom