I'm now a member of the "Dead on Arrival" club :(

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by birdlover, Oct 16, 2008.

1. Vikkisrooster

Vikkisrooster In the Brooder

Jul 17, 2007
    I know when I ordered my first batch of chickens I called the post office to see if I should notify them and she told me that a lot of people do not call in advance to give them their names and phone number,and they have a hard time tracking people down.They usually call a little after 6:30 every time! MM does seem to stand behind what they sell and ship.Good Luck!

2. birdlover

birdlover Songster

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    Thank you so much for all the TLC. It means a lot. About the post office, I've gotten 3 orders previous to this one and all arrived on Fri. so I thought this order would too. So, I left the house, not even thinking they'd be in, about 8:25. They called twice but I'd already left. It was 11:00 when I just happened to pass by the post office and decided to run in and see, just in case. So, they did call. But I don't think I got them extremely late and I'm sure they were already gone.
    [​IMG]

P.S. 3 of the remaining 8 died last night.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2008
  3. miron28

miron28 Songster

Sep 8, 2008
    lenoir north carolina
    have you called them to tell them that they were DOA? what did they say?

4. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    A few hours shouldn't make a difference that drastic. When my order came in it was at 8am Tuesday morning, and it was a rainy day. My car didn't start when it rained, so I had to wait for my hubby to get home, which wasn't till 5pm. He picked them up at 4:45pm (left work a little early) and they were all still hopping and running around. Three hours shouldn't kill off 90% of your birds! Call MM ASAP and let them know!

5. cthrash1

cthrash1 Songster

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    My very first order ever arrived a day late and on my birthday...All of my order was DOA except one and 9 packing peanuts...Awful birthday surprise. But Ideal sent out a replacement order the very next week and all were alive and kicking, plus 9 more packing peanuts.

6. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    Ellen you must have been devastated when you opened that box... :aww
    Don't stress over those couple hours...call MM and report the DOA (and also your complaint with fedex > MM can save those complaints and send them on to fedex with a complaint)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: