I'm on stay-cation and built a sectional

mandelyn

Crowing
14 Years
Aug 30, 2009
Mt Repose, OH
My Coop
My Coop
I work hard, my husband is disabled. We need a solid piece of furniture to tend our aches and pains and lifestyle... as well as something that isn't junk that will hold up for awhile, without costing a fortune.

We had this cheap sectional that lasted through the military life and into the 1st house after that. The next house, the one we bought, it didn't fit. Scrapped it and got some wizbang recliners. Fully automated, adjustable lower lumbar support... the works. We don't have company often and getting 2 of those made sense for the evening reprieve.

They kept breaking though and it was such a hassle. Warranteed to the moon and back but still a giant hassle, the longest repair lasting 3 months. F all of that. That's the last thing I want on my mind.

We started furniture shopping months ago. Considering fit/function/cost/longevity but ultimately comfort.

Long story short, we built it. Tonight I get to enjoy it for the first time and those decorative pillows are going to get wrecked. That's fine, most of them are for aesthetics anyways.

Total price down to the last pillow was $920. We had already priced custom sized sectionals and everything else around town, it's a narrow room and we do like to sprawl.

This is before, we had 2 of those chairs and the TV was on the right wall instead.

lr1.jpg

We bought some plant based foam Twin sized mattresses online, 12 inches thick. They needed 48 hours to expand. They're 39x75

lr5.jpg

While they expanded, we started building.

lr3.jpg

Photo-bombed by a classic car! We opted to paint the 2x12's for the base. Originally I had thought to cover them with a patterned faux leather... can always do that later. The broken recliner is on the porch, awaiting garbage day. It was the 3rd breakdown it had that drove us to this.

lr4.jpg

Framed out the base, with a 4" recess so that there isn't any showing of the mattress under the bed sheets I full well intend to cover it with. Washable function at it's finest!

couch23.jpg

couch22.jpg

We notched the left so that the right could marry up with it nice and level. Screwed it into each other and dropped in the 2nd plywood piece.

couch24.jpg

Decorative trim bits cover the screw holes for the support runners.

couch26.jpg

When I wasn't needed for the build part, I was busy making pillow covers. I scrounged around town for pillows (like clearance Christmas pillows and sales) and then I made covers for them in fabric I actually liked. I was going for variety with a color scheme.

lr2.jpg

Next, we dropped those Twin mattresses in, put the sheets on and organized pillows... so that now we can wreck it and have a Netflix marathon, with our sore backs relaxing into that foam wondering why couches aren't made like this. :lau:celebrate Clearly the dog has called dibs on the spare chair.

couch25.jpg

OMG, we BOTH fell asleep on it. We binged on netflix and then I opened my eyes and it was morning! Whoops!

We need to a do a bed next, based on how my back feels I think the bed is past it's prime. I definitely don't feel like I slept on a couch, so this is gonna work!

I nested down into those pillows and have never known such comfort. :clap

Back
Top Bottom