I'm saving egg cartons... is that ok?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Chicabee19, Sep 3, 2008.

1. Chicabee19

Chicabee19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    For weeks now I've been saving up egg cartons from the store.

Can I use them when it comes time to sell my extra eggs?

2. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    I've often wondered that myself, but there are labeling laws that are enforced in certain areas.

3. Chicabee19

Chicabee19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    I plan to sell only to close friends/neighbors...

When I buy eggs from my friend I never even really look at the carton.

4. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    To sell to your friends and neighbors it is fine.

If selling to unknowns or at markets, the laws are different depending on what state you live in. I know in NC you can reuse 'clean' cartons. You have to mark out the grade and replace with ungraded. Here you do not need a permit as long as you do not sell more than 50 dozen per week.

Check with you Agricultural deparment.

Matt

5. illinichick

illinichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    SE Il
    I re-use cartons. I ordered a self-inking stamper with our farm name and stamped computer labels. This is to cover up the brand name, for the most part. I sell them to other teachers. I have a neighbor who has sold for years and she doesnt re-name the cartons.

6. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    I think each state has different regulations about that. Call your State's Dept of Agriculture for the requirements locally.

Here in Ohio, if an egg carton is reused, all markings (including the date stamps on the side) must be completely covered. The carton must be in excellent, clean condition.

The labeling we use must include our farm name, date packed, classification, and egg sizes. Our label states: Mixed Sized, Unclassified with a Laid/Packed Date. (Note: More people seem to be impressed by the date the eggs were laid the day than the date they were packed. Most of our customers get eggs laid within a day or two of purchase. [​IMG] )

In Ohio, if selling from my farm property, no inspection is needed. However, an inspection is required to sell our farm eggs in another county or any place in our county that is not our farm property.

Also, if selling anywhere except from our farm, eggs must be kept refrigerated at 40°F immediately after they are gathered. The eggs should be clean, but washing is not required. The inspection was free. The inspector tested my refrigerator was at correct temp and that the refrigerator was clean. He also glanced at the rest of the kitchen to see the condition it was in. The first one they set up an appointment, after that, annual inspections (if done) are by surprise visit.

More than you asked for... but I would recommend you check with your state Dept of Ag to find out the regulations. Or possibly you can find them online.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by