I'm so in love with my little turkeys

My DH and I have 3 five week old turkeys, a Blue Slate hen a Bourbon Red hen and a Black Spanish tom. The little BR hen is the sweetest! She will cuddle in my arms and will sit in my hand let me pet her as long as I want. Yesterday she followed me all around the yard just a purring. The Black Spanish is without a doubt a tom. He is already made the little BR his girlfriend. He struts around in front of her and sits down by her and loves on her. I never would have guessed that they would be so much fun. I'm a little more attached to the BR b/c when we first got her she was dehydrated so I had to nurse her back to health. I guess we've bonded.

Quote:
I bet you it thinks your their mom or something. that is what i think mine think of me. i do alot of work in the garden and yard...where ever i go they do that wobble fly think after me...i wish they would stop following me...they love to eat the lettuce and Spinach in my garden.

i wish they would stop following me...they love to eat the lettuce and Spinach in my garden.

That's funny. I was actually trying to get them to follow me to the garden yesterday so that they would be near me. Now I'm glad they wouldn't go. LOL! I'm creating a monster anyway. I let them pick around in my flower bed. They trample it, but the rain brings it back, and besides they look so cute amid all the colors.
30384_pedro.jpg

I now have 8 poults. My first 8. They are a riot. Most are entering or are in the "vulture look" stage. They range from 6 to 9 weeks old, include 6 different heritage breeds and one mutt with a Rio dad. Love them all but will probably only keep one Tom and one or two hens. Choosing will be very difficult. Someone else will have to process the majority destined for the table. They have so much more personality than chickens. Whatever I keep will be the base of a future flock. My poor chickens are now getting shortchanged on what little TLC time I have after work, family, chores, etc..

Well, i really want them to graze, just not in my vegie garden! i have a huge yard, and no riding mower...so theses birds can really do me a favor by grazing. it also will save money on feed.
I really do agree that they have more personality then chickens. My neighbor had i t hink 6 chickens, only one had real personality, and the fox got him. now they have 9, only 3 are grown the others still brooding...they are really cute, but not as cute in that funny sort of way as my turkey poults were.

I am still in shock at how fast they grow and how much they eat.

Back
Top Bottom