I'm so inexperienced ! Please help.

mikayla5678

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 23, 2014
I don't really know much! This is my first time incubating eggs and it's a school project . SAEP for agriculture class. I would love to know more than what I've learned so far.
1).I've learned how to candle
2).What temperature and humidity your supposed to be at
3).what a dead embryo looks like
That's about it so I would like to know more information because it seems like a fun thing to do and I would love to do it more than once so I'm trying to learn more info and it will be much appreciated if yall could help!

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. If you want to learn about incubating eggs, a good place to start is our section on incubating and hatching eggs 101 at https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101. Sally Sunshine's article there should answer all of your questions. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your incubation.

You've been given a great link - sometimes you need to read it a couple time - so retain the information. I think you will do fine. Just be sure you don't use old eggs and try to hatch them.

Thanks yall Ive been looking over this site since I've started but I would still like to know more and not just the basics

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

The thing about hatching is that you learn as you go. There are no hard core rules to hatching as every condition is variable. And each hatch is always different. But as you do these hatches, you will learn how to spot things, know when something is wrong and how to fix it. These articles are a good place to start. Read as much as you can to help you get started and each hatch will teach you more.

Good luck with all your hatches and welcome to our flock!

i really think i have all dead eggs and no fertile... this is my 4th day and im not really sure how to tell. my agriculture teacher told me i should of candled them before i started but he told me that after it was the second day.... What should i do!? im a nervous wreck

What would you have been candling for? Are they shipped eggs? If they are fresh unshipped eggs from a flock with a rooster, changes are they are fertile and have a possibility of hatching. 4 days is a little early to check for development, but you can candle them to see if you see any blood vessels forming. It will look somewhat like a red spider on the top of the yolk. This may be hard to see depending upon the color of the egg shell. White or light colored brown eggs are much easier to check than dark brown or colored eggs.

Good luck and hopefully you will see some development. Don't worry about the eggs chilling while candling if that is your concern. Broody hens leave the nest to eat, dust bathe, etc. You won't hurt them by opening the incubator and checking them. If you suspect that the eggs are bad or old just remember to "sniff" test. If you have a bad smell in the incubator sniff each egg and carefully dispose of the "bad" egg. You will easily be able to tell as they shouldn't have an odor.

@twocrows I got them my dads friend that has chickens and they were laid that morning that we went to pick them up his wife was telling me about this site and that the rooster did get with the hen so hopefully she's right and the egg is fertile! And thanks on the info about it might be harder to see with colored eggs because I have 1 blue and the rest are all beige and I have one with really really dark brown color. Thanks for your help you guys!

Back
Top Bottom