IM SO MAD!!!! do i have a right to be????

First of all, I would call animal control and report the dog at large and destroying your property. You have a case (with witness's) for small claims court. I would file and let her pay for your birds. This may make her decide to take some action on the dog. If this is not an option, the sure fire way to deal with it is to shot the dog. Which is perfectly legal and necessary if it continues to damage your property. Just be sure if you take the final option, the dog is on YOUR property. Deeply sorry for your lose.

Quote:
keep an eye out for him. Sadly, most bad owners decide pretty quickly that chaining the dog is too much trouble and go back to letting them roam. After all, before YOU had to pick up after the dog and now all that poo is their responsibility.

Key to successfully protecting against dogs is a paper trail, either through AC or the police. Here, we have no real Animal Control and no leash law. We are also allowed to kill any dog that we think is going to kill livestock. Every dog that has entered my yard, I know where they belong (trailer park across the street) and the owners get a friendly visit from the Deputy to tell them the law regarding livestock. One guy got a $300 ticket for his dog and STILL had the dog loose and running down the road not 5 minutes after the police left. Needless to say, another neighbor killed that dog for attacking his cats. That way, when the neighbor says "OH my little fluffy would never do that" (and they ALL say it), you will have proof that they have been warned before. And if it is a different dog, then you still have proof that there has been an ongoing problem and you are reasonable to shoot the new dog as well.

Goodness gracious. After reading these post I've come to the conclusion 60% of dog owners should not be allow to have um. On chain is no place to have a dog. If I had to have a dog on a chain he would not be staying here. A kennel is good but even then he needs time out of there with the owner/master in training. Bonding with the owner is vital to the dogs personality. Just think how much better off we all would be if every dog owner took ownership seriously. We pamper our chickens and treat our dogs like, uh well, dogs. That just ain't right. We shouldn't have to be shooting other folks dogs to protect our animals in anybody's world. The dog always pays for the human stupidity. Such a shame.

A neighbor has two dogs she can't catch. The grump has had pups for the second time and at 5 weeks they have not been touch by human hand yet. Wonder what they will turn out to be?

Quote:
This X1000.

No matter how you confine your dog - chain, outdoor kennel, inside the house (free or in a crate) - there needs to be daily exercise and training. On the opposite side of the scale you have people who treat their dogs like people. They honestly can't believe that lil fluffy could do anything wrong (or that the rest of the world doesn't love having lil fluffy jump on them).

Slightly off-topic but involves stupid people and dogs. We were waiting for the Homecoming Parade to start on Wed. There was a woman with a sighthound mix on a flexi-leash. She was standing talking to friends while her dog was 20' behind her, climbing into people's laps. The woman got angry when someone told her to control her dog. After all, the dog just wanted pets and love and what mean people that didn't want her to play with them!

^ Xinfinity or whatnot.

There used to be a snotty lady who would "walk" (be pulled by) her ENORMOUS Rottweiler "Kaiser". He'd do business in my yard, constantly get loose from her, chase pets, kill pets, growl and lunge at neighbors. Her explanation when confronted (which happened often) was that he was just following his instincts, and that stupid cats should be contained, that he was protective of her, etc.. Suggestions of walking him down a less populated street were dismissed. Cops & animal control couldn't do anything because he hadn't bitten anyone yet.

Well, he did, a 4 year old boy. He was playing in HIS yard, and Kaiser leaned over the short picket fence and got a hold of his hand. Permanent disfigurement. The neighbors sued her pants off. Sadly, Kaiser was owned by dumb people and put down by court order. I advocate doing whatever you can to solve/eliminate the problem before it gets worse.

I will agree that chaining any animal is no life for them. My dog kennel is made for 5 large dogs to quickly go out and come back in if they choose to its nearly 40 feet long and 30 feet wide, all fenced in. However when I am outside which is pretty much all the time I am not at work or when its dark they are out there with me.

my neighbour never takes his large dog for a walk at all, EVER!! the dog is inside all the time except for when the dog needs to alleviate himself. Hence why the dog is so overweight.

I also agree there should never come a reason why someone like me would have to shoot someone else's pet, however, this dog has already shown he is aggressive and dangerous, not only does he have territorial issues with anything passing their property, school buses, people on bikes, or anyone going for a hike, he will chase them down teeth bared.

This dog has come running off his property and onto mine and chased my 2 children and if it had not been for my st. Bernard/ King Sheppard mix who broke through a glass door to get out there when the kids screamed, this dog would have harmed my children. We called the town, and animal control and nothing was done. SO in some situations, and because of the bad owner some people are left with no choice.

My children go out to play and I always have to leave a dog or 2 with them just in case. This should tell you a lot seeing where I live, int he middle of the woods in nowhere land we have tons of bears, bobcats, lynx and wolves, and I have to worry about the neighbours dog. my dogs do not wander off my property, at all, if they want to go for a run they head out back where they have marshy land and 48 acres of free running room. And they will not do that if the kids are outside, only time they feel comfortable enough to let their guard down and go play is when an adult is out there. I can see my kids playground from our living room picture window, so they are not unsupervised!!

Ema

After carefully fencing in about an acre for the girls to run around in, I got a dog. No more neighbor dog, no more foxes, coyotes, or even deer or turkeys for that matter. Fight fire with fire. Plus I have a new best friend!

Last edited:
Quote:
That sounds great! I'm glad you found a way to deal with it. Beware that sme dogs need to be watched around chickens, especially chicks. What kind of dog did you get?

Before we moved here, I had a neighbor who was too stupid to train/ keep their dog confined. So after bringing it the kilometer BACK to their house on more then one occasion, the last time I brought it home, I explained to them not so politely ( because my infinite patience had run right out) that the next time the dog was on my property it would be receiving a bullet right between the eyes. They got the hint. Now you're in a residential area so I'm not sure how that works, probably not great. But DO call animal control and report. Repeatedly.

Darlene - I suppose that wasn't my last post. He's a Decker Rat Terrier. Don't let the aweful name fool you, he was designed to rip foxes in half. He's only 4 months old so he will (I hope) get a lot bigger.
80433_9-27-112.jpg
He's just such a great dog I love to post his pics! He loves the girls and even waits 'till they finish their oatmeal in the morning before he cleans the bowl.

Back
Top Bottom