IM SO MAD!!!! do i have a right to be????

we always shoot to kill, and the way our property is set up an injured/ panic animal will find it hard to run through several layers of fences that we always manage to finish the job.

My mantra quoted:
When a dog is on its own property, it's a pet. When someone else's dog is on my property, it's a predator. Simple as pie.

A reply to it by ManningJW:
As long as the same thing applies to any chickens that happen to get loose that is fair

Well, I doubt anyone would consider a chicken a predator. They aren't going to attack, maim or kill the neighbor's dog.
lol.png
Dang, that would be one scary chicken!

If you even read the other things I wrote, a larger portion of my property is perimeter fenced and within that fence, pens are attached to the coops. So, if a dog is on my property, he has made a huge effort to be there. If one chicken manages to get off my property somehow, by flying out or whatever, in spite of my considerable efforts, and is killed by a dog, it's tragic, but just an accident and my chicken hasn't endangered any humans or other livestock during her escape.

Wouldn't blame the dog a bit if my chicken was on someone else's property and got killed, but I go to great lengths to be sure that does not happen. I expect the same from the dog owner. If you want to get really technical, the law doesn't give me penalties if a chicken roams off my property-no leash law for chickens, but I do try to be a good neighbor, obey all laws, keep my animals on my property. Can't say the same for most country dog owners around here.

Securing your yard so chickens cannot escape generally is more than enough to keep a dog out.

Usually, but not always, as witnessed by other parts of my previous post. Still, if I choose to free range my birds and they are on my property and the dog is OFF his (against county law), it's still the dog owner's fault and whatever happens to the dog is fitting. Dog owners who allow their dogs to roam or habitually escape should expect them to one day just not return home.​

Quote:
The same thing happened to me, two neighbors, two dogs. I told both of them that I didn't shoot him/her this time, but if I see them near my yard I will next time.

I have a real gun, but I didn't want to kill them just scare them, so I bought a paint gun. Man that thing is powerful! I will shoot any dog that enters my yard in the rump. Then they can go home and their owner will see the paint and know the dog has been somwhere it shouldn't have gone!
wink.png
I'm hoping it will help to keep the dogs in their own yard or at least have them scurrying away never to return.

Quote:
The same thing happened to me, two neighbors, two dogs. I told both of them that I didn't shoot him/her this time, but if I see them near my yard I will next time.

I have a real gun, but I didn't want to kill them just scare them, so I bought a paint gun. Man that thing is powerful! I will shoot any dog that enters my yard in the rump. Then they can go home and their owner will see the paint and know the dog has been somwhere it shouldn't have gone!
wink.png
I'm hoping it will help to keep the dogs in their own yard or at least have them scurrying away never to return.

as someone already mentioned in this thread, you can actually be charged with animal cruelty for this. Shooting to scare/cause pain isn't considered an alternative to deadly force in a lot of jurisdictions.

that was me!! wasnt it this thread hahaha ive posted in so many lately i cant keep them stright

not only that but there has been user deaths because of the co2 tank and a 32 year old woman was kill by getting shot in just the right spot
sad.png
i hate paint ball guns
if youve ever been shot by one (i have 4 brothers older than I and im the only girl so i got lots of the butt end of thier cruelty) IT HURTS!!!!!

it leaves a big bruse/welt where the pellet inpacked and if its in the right spot it will break the skin and you will bleed.... plus that co2 take is a mini rocket with loads and loads of pressure one time your in a hurry not put it on correctly
sad.png
it could do serious damage....

Last edited:
Had a loose dog attack our chickens when we were home. DH saw it and took a shot. Dog ran off. Next day my daughter told me a girl that rides her bus said her dad called the cops because the dog made it home before it died. However in our neighborhood SSS is followed cause we get so many strays dropped off. Even if the cops came around no one would have said anything (most probably know who did it). My daughter has been known to sit on a picnic table with her 4-10 or 22 watching her chickens when we were having fox problems. Neighbors know what we think of loose dogs. Spent to much on undergroung fencing to keep our dogs in our 2 acres to put up with neighbors dogs coming around and causing problems.

Quote:
I called animal control when the dogs owner wouldn't cooperate. They went to his house and removed the little ^%@#$ who killed my girl, then tried to dig its way into the barn THE NEXT DAY. We don't talk anymore...

Oh don't get me started on dogs killing things.
somad.gif
My neighbor has 6 dogs that come onto my property all the time. They haven't killed anything but if they do i will not hesitate to shoot it. Around here its called protecting your livestock. You can kill an animal that is killing your livestock. If i were you i would have looked into possible legal actions. If the dog comes back take pictures as proof the dog is on your property. She should NOT have gone off on your son. It is her job to keep her dog on her property. What would she have done if the dog had attacked a human? Also you can improve your fencing because it is also partially your job to keep animals out. They have electric chicken netting you might try around the parameter of your yard. this will also keep the dog out. I have a blue healer, they are known as biters but he has never bothered my chickens or bunnies so yes it is instinct but they can be taught not to kill things. It is the owners job to keep their pet in line. OK done with my venting, I hope that the dog owner at least gets a lesson out of this if nothing else. Good luck

I have been having issues with my neighbours german shepperd. He kept coming on my property and peeing and pooping everywhere, enticing my dogs who are locked up in a pen and then trying to get inside the coops and runs. Then a week and half ago or so, I went out back and all my livestock fencing was down and all bent. the dog jumped the fence, and began chasing my chickens and turkeys around. the dog is kinda fat so the chickens and turkeys were faster than him, I screamed at the stupid dog and he ran off. Everyone seemed fine, but I was pretty peeved and upset. He even got inside the barn and pooped right in the middle of the isle. A couple hours later I found a dead turkey hen, no injuries, and my flock was really healthy. So I figured it was just too stressful for her.

Well the dogs owner hasn't taken me seriously all the times I have called him to tell him that his dog chases the school bus or jumps out at my car when I drive by and chases me down the road. the dog may be slightly fat but he is still very large. So I had been avoiding having my Dh talk to this guy cause my hubby is pretty intimidating and he doesn't joke around, well my dh called his house opposed to showing up as his door step, and told him, "If I find your dog on my property again, I will shoot it, and then I will call the police and have the dog delivered to your door by them, and then you will pay for all damages your dog has caused me, leash him up, keep him off my property, this is your last warning."

Well guess what?????????????? the dog is now leashed up with a thick chain he cannot break. and my birds can go back to free ranging, On my FENCED property!!

Ad just to be clear, I did speak with a police officer in my area, he is a freind of my hubby's and he told us, shooting any animal outside of hunting season without a tag is Illegal, but if that animal, no matter what it is, dog, cat or mouse, or even something larger, is on your property threatening your livestock, we have every right to shoot the animal.

Ema

Quote:
A reply to it by ManningJW:
As long as the same thing applies to any chickens that happen to get loose that is fair

Well, I doubt anyone would consider a chicken a predator. They aren't going to attack, maim or kill the neighbor's dog.
lol.png
Dang, that would be one scary chicken!

If you even read the other things I wrote, a larger portion of my property is perimeter fenced and within that fence, pens are attached to the coops. So, if a dog is on my property, he has made a huge effort to be there. If one chicken manages to get off my property somehow, by flying out or whatever, in spite of my considerable efforts, and is killed by a dog, it's tragic, but just an accident and my chicken hasn't endangered any humans or other livestock during her escape.

Wouldn't blame the dog a bit if my chicken was on someone else's property and got killed, but I go to great lengths to be sure that does not happen. I expect the same from the dog owner. If you want to get really technical, the law doesn't give me penalties if a chicken roams off my property-no leash law for chickens, but I do try to be a good neighbor, obey all laws, keep my animals on my property. Can't say the same for most country dog owners around here.​

My point is, things happen. Sometimes despite our best efforts both Dogs and chickens get out and get into places they shouldn't be. We both seem to agree it is the responsibility of both owners. Sure, a chicken doesn't pose much threat to say a larger dog. It could to small pets and even small children, especially aggressive roosters. Not to mention some people just don't like chickens and consider them pests when they not within their own property. I happen to love both and would do my best to return the loose animal safely to it's owner in hopes they are responsible and this was just an accident.

If I saw a dog killing my chickens, I wouldn't hesitate in killing it. If I saw the dog just in my yard, I would try to defuse the situation as best I can before resorting to that.

Here is a respective law I found for Indiana regarding this situation and I agree with how the law is worded:

15-20-2-2 Authority to kill dog in act of killing or injuring livestock

Sec. 2. A person who observes a dog in the act of killing or injuring livestock may kill the dog if the person has the consent of the person in possession of the real estate on which the dog is found.​

Back
Top Bottom