IM SO MAD!!!! do i have a right to be????

Well done, Bridgetteanne. You are showing courage and wisdom there. That's a good plan going forward. I know it must hurt to lose your beloved birds, and I am sorry. I hope things work out well for you in the future.

I have to agree with GAchick and Birdmomma.

IMHO, there is no such thing as 100% security unless you keep your chickens locked up (and even that is not always foolproof!) If you are going to free range, you take the chance of something happening, whether it be a neighbor's dog, a hawk, a fox, or whatever. These things can happen even when you are supervising them, but more so when you are not. I don't understand how you can make the statement that they never leave your property. Chickens might have a territory that they are used to, but they are chickens. There's no guarantee of their behavior. Even children will leave a yard if enticed (scary thought.) I'm not putting the blame on any one person, just stating the fact that things happen... it's how we deal with them that makes the difference.

I would also like to state that my yard is completely fenced in. We make every effort to fortify the bottom of the fence with logs and boulders. Despite this, my dog, a labbie-mix will on occasion (maybe a few times a year) dig under the fence and get loose. She runs around the neighborhood visiting everyone and then comes home to our front steps. I hate to think that someone would shoot her if she's found in their yard, but I know that they have every right to do it. She's still MY responsibility. Yes, she gets along well with our chickens, and even acts like a little mother hen around them. I have no idea how she behaves when she's loose, nor will I assume that she's a perfect angel. Most of our neighbor know her and will try to coax her over so that they can bring her home. That's their choice. If I saw a strange animal attacking my chickens, I would not hesitate to shoot it. If it was a dog that I know, I might try to scare it off first.

Sorry to hear about your loss and hope that things are resolved smoothly.

First of all, so sorry for your loss. I completely understand why you're angry.
hugs.gif

Now, on to business.
old.gif
It's illegal almost everywhere to let your dog wander. Generally speaking, the owner of the dog is responsible for any damage it causes. The owner should pay up and fess up. That said, you knew there were roaming dogs around and you know what dogs like to do with chickens. You have every right to be mad at your neighbors, and they should reimburse you for your loss, but ultimately your chickens' welfare is your responsibility. (Read: you knew the risks before it happened.) If you have marauding dogs in the area, put up a fence to keep them out, whether around your yard or around your chickens. THere is also the option of caling animal control every single time you see a dog loose. Won't make you very popular with your neighbors or animal control, but it is an option.

I think your story, tragic as it is, serves as a lesson to all of us. If you have neighbors, make friends. Share eggs. If you have a valuable commodity, you control the situation. A dozen free eggs every now and then is a very inexpensive way to give your neighbors a vested interest in keeping your chickens safe.

What a horrible experience. I've had my own trouble with neighbors over the years and have concluded that I just can't live far enough away from people. I don't know what your local laws are, but you may want to report the incident to Animal Control so they can talk to your neighbor, and document the incident. The dog owner may have to pay some sort of fine or pay to replace your chicks. Owners like that tend to repeatedly break leash laws, and that dog is probably going to be back in your yard before you know it. It will be good to have it all documented with AC in case you end up shooting that dog.

We used to have problems with dogs running through our property, terrorizing my pets and knocking over our garbage and recycling bins, and owners would scoff when I tried to speak to them about it - "This is how things are done here in the country", etc. They take it much more seriously when an AC officer shows up at their door. We fenced our property a few years ago, which solved most of our problems. It keeps honest people honest. Sorry for your loss, but it sounds like you may need to keep your birds confined unless you're there to supervise. Even with our fence, I don't let our birds out unless someone is around to watch them.

Quote:
I would have called animal control and let them handle it... yes this time the dog got a chicken but what if you small child was in the yard. Just last week my friends daughter was in HER yard and was mauled by a pit bull with the parents right there. The dog was not even provoked. Where I live if someones animal is on your property... legally you can shot it... I have never have and can not imagine I would ( we do not even have a gun) But you see my point. If your chickens had wondered off of your property onto hers and the dog ate them that is one thing. She should replace your chickens and at the very least apologize. I would tell her if it happens again that she will be contacted by the authorities. Let them deal with her.

Sorry for your loss. My only question is why you have not taken the owner of the dog a bill for the livestock that it killed. Especially for the silkies those take so long to mature that any set back is terrible. Everyone in my area knows that there will be repercussions if you do not keep your dog on your property and if it comes into my yard it is not only fair came but you will be paying for any damages. It is inexcusable to let them get away with it. Beagles are dogs that absolutely cannot be allowed to roam as they are hunting dogs.

I hope no one minds my adding in my 2 cents (which is just about what it's worth!). The neighbor with the dog was wrong, wrong, wrong. But the fact that someone else is going off about it tells me that person saw it happen and did nothing. Her overreacting is coming from somewhere and I suspect it's guilt. Why else would she go off on a 5 year old?

That being said, think of the future. You have to live with these people. Now you know what you are dealing with. I'd fence the yard, give the neighbor a bill for the chickens that were lost and then go about trying to make peace in the neighborhood.

There is so much wrong in the world these days, I think we all need to go the extra mile to keep good feelings.

I have a neighbor who once threw my puppy over the fence because he had jumped it to greet the neighbor's teenage son who had called to him. He put up a stockade fence and we never spoke again. Fast forward a few years and my daughter's now in the fire department with this guy and the son. This weekend, my DP was putting up a shed and the guy came to the fence and they had a "guy talk" about the shed and the chickens, hawks, etc.

When the eggs start coming, I will put this guy on the list. Is he a jerk? Yes. But I have to live next door to him and I'd rather have peace than hostility any day.

Just my humble opinion...
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom