I'm so proud of my dog

4 Love of Baby Chickens

Songster
12 Years
Aug 15, 2007
The middle of Middle Tennessee
I'm so proud of my dog.

The other day I was putting a pan out so that Blackie my dog could lick it out for me. Then I heard one of my roosters crow. It was pitch black out. So I knew that something was trying to get to my chickens. She suddenly started growling and ran out to my coop. I yelled encouragement to her, "Sic it girl"!!! I heard her barking and getting fainter at every second. I praised her the next morning about what a good dog she was.

I'm going to put fencing up where the animal was trying to get in. It might've been a coon or a possum.

Blackie is a Redbone, Blue heeler and beagle mix. She is 11 years old.

I don't think that I'm going to tell her. Don't want praise to go to her head and she lets her guard down.

big_smile.png

A good dog is a real prize, I'm so glad you have one!

I have a funny-looking little brown dog, Cleo, part bassette and part mystery dog, a sheep dog, and 2 lab mixes. Cleo is the one that guards the birds, and has chased, attacked and injured foxes and raccoons. I fuss over her and tell her what a good dog she is. The sheepdog, Booferd, will join in and help by providing back-up, but it's Cleo who spots the threat first, and reacts the fastest. The labs are learning, they just recently learned not to chase chickens themselves.

Last week, the 4 of them treed a raccoon that was stealing the cat food from my 3 outdoor cats. (I have 9 cats, 3 are outdoors now because they decided to spray indoors) We have a little out shelter/feeding station for them where the dogs and chickens can't get the cat food, but raccoons are another story.

I'm happy to report that raccoon, after being brined for a few days, and crock-pot cooked until nice and tender, is very tasty.

PIC00188-2.jpg

Last edited:
Go girl...get him Blackie Good Girl! *pats pats and more pats*

Well done.

Tell her she deserves it. My little 10 lb menace has chased off a fox, raccoons and squirrels from around the girls. But the stupid thing has also cornered a young mountain lion. Stupid dog!

Last edited:
we got 3 of them running with our chickens, goats, pigs, ducks, pigeons and geese.... any unwated critters/ predators have better luck of escaping if they met me first....
cool.png

2006_1029007.jpg

Back
Top Bottom