I'm starting some trader Joe's eggs today

Sweetlilbaby

Songster
7 Years
Apr 19, 2012
Tacoma Washington
Will keep everyone updated on if it fails or is successful. Will even try to get candling pictures if possible. :)
I got 1 dozen white eggs, one dozen brown. I couldn't find any marked Fertile there, But was told that all their free range eggs are fertile. So only time will tell if that is true.

Trader joes is a grocery store. They have natural/healthier foods then most stores. Higher prices as well, and way to many people in their store. I have anxiety disorder and nearly passed out trying to get out of there.
My mom had me butcher her rooster so I cannot get fertile eggs from her for at least a year. Her rooster wasn't very fertile anyway. I can't keep a rooster. But I want to find a source that is close by and all year round that will have fertile eggs. I am hopeful that these will turn out to be fertile and hatch.
I enjoy baby chicks even if I cannot keep them myself. I love hatching eggs. It's exciting. I currently only have 5 pullets, and legally can own 6 so I talked to my neighbors and husband and they all agree I need 3 more, :) They want eggs.

That is just so wild! I never knew that TJ's sells fertile eggs. If I weren't afraid of getting all big, loud roos, I'd incubate a batch just to see if they hatch!

How cold can you refrigerate eggs and still have them be viable?

Last edited:
I've hatched eggs in the past that were put in the fridge by mistake for 2 days. They hatched okay. So putting them in the fridge does some harm but very little. You need to let them set out til they reach room temp before putting them in the incubator though, otherwise they heat up to fast and the shell cracks. I learned that the hard way a month ago.

As for roosters, you can tell it's a rooster before they being to crow. So you'd have time to find it a new home or make soup before it begins to get noisy.

Back
Top Bottom