I'm Stressing Out Over All Of My Hens Health Please Help. Are My Hens Sick?

Rooster20

Chirping
Sep 19, 2021
So my Chickens started laying eggs on September 16, and 3 hens laid their first 3 eggs on September 16th. But the next day, I only got 1 egg, and the next day I didn't get any eggs at all, and yesterday I only got 1 egg. I'm really worried about them since they are still 4 months old.

Is this normal?

Sounds about right to me. I have new layers as well (all within the last 3 weeks, staggered start). I have 5 if 8 laying. Some days I get 5 some days I get 2 or 3. I know my Polish are not laying every day as well as my Brahma. Some breeds lay more than others, laying daily until they need a rest day but some breeds only lay 3 or 4 a week.

But watch for not eating or drinking or not acting normal (lethargic or tail down or yucky poo). Those will be some tell tale signs of sickness.

Hope this helps!

Sounds about right to me. I have new layers as well (all within the last 3 weeks, staggered start). I have 5 if 8 laying. Some days I get 5 some days I get 2 or 3. I know my Polish are not laying every day as well as my Brahma. Some breeds lay more than others, laying daily until they need a rest day but some breeds only lay 3 or 4 a week.

But watch for not eating or drinking or not acting normal (lethargic or tail down or yucky poo). Those will be some tell tale signs of sickness.

Hope this helps!
So they're just getting used to laying eggs?

Likely, it can take awhile to sort out. And some might not lay daily. I only have 2 that consistantly lay daily, my Barred Rock and Leghorn.

What breeds do you have and how old are they?
I have 7 different breeds, all just turned 4 months old. But the 2nd batch of Chickens are a week younger that the 4 month olds

Er... Look at what? As far as I can see, you have not told us what breeds of chickens you have. This information would help us to help you. Not all chickens lay an egg every day, and those that do are still not going to do it right out of the gate, so to speak. Your hens are very young. Give them time. They have some maturing to do. Now that they are starting to lay, they will need calcium added to their diet. Oyster shell, kept in a separate dish, available 24/7, will supply that need. If you do not have a rooster or any other non-laying chickens, you could switch them to a layer formula of feed, which has added calcium already in it, but it is considered by many to be very hard on the kidneys of non-laying birds, possibly leading to early death.

Back
Top Bottom