I'm supposed to be a GL Wayondotte, but . . . .

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by azelgin, Jun 14, 2008.

1. azelgin

azelgin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    S.E. AZ
    I have a pea comb. She is 11 weeks old and looks exactly like here sisters (legs, feather patterns, wattles, etc.), except for her comb. We got her in April, from Privett's.
    [​IMG]
    She is the only one of ten with this feature. Do you think there was a mix up with something else? Some kind of breeding error? Any ideas on what she might really be?

2. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I could be wrong.... but I think they can come with a straight comb and some people keep a few to keep fertility high [​IMG]

3. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    What I have read about them is that they can come with either comb. Mine have the 2 different combs. Doesn't worry me as long as I get some good eggs. However, if you are wanting to show this one wouldn't be accepted but could be wrong as I don't exhibit.
    I think you have a real GLW.[​IMG]

4. dedern

dedern Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2008
    newtown,ct
    I have 2 glw that have totally diff combs. Apparently it is a sign of fertility and is a recessive gene. Check out posting by patandchickens

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Many Wyandottes pop up with single combs due to their ancestry, part of it being Cochin. My Lorelei, rest her soul, was one of three SLWs and she had a big floppy single comb.

6. azelgin

azelgin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    S.E. AZ
    Thank you all so much for the interesting information. She is a very social and out going little girl, so we definately be keeping her around, show quality, or not.
    [​IMG]

7. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Yup, she's a GLW. My SLW was like yours: VERY dark. The comb pops up here and there as a result of cross-breeding for production in hatcherys.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by