I'm sure this will get quoted as a stupid question(s)

FireTigeris

Tyger! Tyger! burning bright
10 Years
Nov 22, 2009
Jacksonville, FL - Arligton-
I'm sure this will get quoted as a stupid question(s)

So here's some questions I could look on google for but would rather real people tell me because it matters 'how much' or 'how often'

My husband is a magician-

We've been trying to get together a dove act (see: Lance Burton or Amos Levkovitch).

But the doves are not cooperating- so much (staying dirty, picking feathers, etc) that hubbie is giving up on them- so now they are freeloaders.

If I wanted to try white Quail what are the pros and cons.

Doves fly and can be taught to fly back to you, what about quail? But gosh doves are dumb as rocks... really they won't come in out of freezing rain...I have to go out there and move the blasted birds back under cover.

What is their (quail) maximum flight range?

Are they smarter then a rock?

Can they be taught?

Would they do well in a deep litter - 3*3*5 pen?

Um do they have special requirements (different then chickens/chicks, or doves/pigeons)?

And if all of these answers are satisfactory, would you like -your- line of white quail to appear in magic shows?

Quail can't fly like doves can, they basically shoot straight up when scared and fal to the ground...

ETA I have some white quail if you want them, but you can't count on them to fly when you want, only when they feel the urge.
smile.png
But they are calm, calm enough that they would sit there if they are magically unveiled or something like that...

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
gig.gif

It will start with Firetigeris riding the ostrich onto the stage....

Last edited:
Don't use a white DOVE, use a pigeon. Not only can they be trained better, they home, are more intelligent and much more friendly. I own both and trust me if my doves weren't hand tamed from day one they would already have been sent off to the market...
wink.png

However quails are another story altogether. They cannot be trained to fly and have poor memory. They fly straight upwards when startled and do not respond to vocal commands. Just my 0.02
smile.png

Quote:
gig.gif

It will start with Firetigeris riding the ostrich onto the stage....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ostrich :

In some countries, people race each other on the back of Ostriches. The practice is common in Africa[41] and is relatively unusual elsewhere.[42] The Ostriches are ridden in the same way as horses with special saddles, reins, and bits. However, they are harder to manage than horses.[43]

The racing is also a part of modern South African culture.[44] Within the United States, a tourist attraction in Jacksonville, Florida called 'The Ostrich Farm' opened up in 1892; it and its races became one of the most famous early attractions in the history of Florida.[45] In the U.S. today, the Phoenix, Arizona area hosts an annual 'Ostrich Festival' every Spring in which residents race.[46]

Racing has also occurred at many other locations such as Virginia City in Nevada, Canterbury Park in Minnesota,[47] Prairie Meadows in Iowa,[48] and Ellis Park in Kentucky.[49]

Wow, my own town had Ostrich racing...

I'd fit... on an ostrich...​

Forget the white quail , bad idea. House dove in a large building , bath water. they will stay clean. Even a small hutch type with wire bottom.
Close in all except the front.

Try hand fed white racing homing pigeon. Great and they are just large doves.

Back
Top Bottom