1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I'm sure you guys get tired of answering gender questions lol

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LEOW2012, Mar 3, 2016.

1. LEOW2012

LEOW2012 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2016
    I have 3 chicks that are quite a bit bigger than my other 12 so I am wondering if they maybe are just older than we think? Or do I have 3 rooster on my hands?

Bird #1 Gold Sex linked supposedly 4w old
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bird #2 Rhode Island red supposed to be 4w old
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bird #3 gold sex linked 4w old
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Any teachins yall have would be greatly appreciated :)
    THANKS!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

2. Too young to say for sure, but the orps look like they might be Roos. Check at 8 weeks.

3. LEOW2012

Jan 17, 2016
    Please don't hate me for the stupid question lol this is my first backyard flock on my own. These were sold to me as Gold Sex Linked Pullets....not buff orpingtons. Can you tell me what exactly gold sex linked means? I know it means the female chicks are colored differently than the male chicks but thats all I know. How accurate is the color difference between the male and females? Is it possible to buy sex linked pullets but they turn out to be roosters?

4. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    I see no obvious cockerel signs so far. No wattles and combs are still small and have no color.

Gold sex links can be sexed at hatch by their down color. Males are white while females are yellow streaked with red or gold. The dark one certainly does not look like a gold sex link. That one looks like a production red/hatchery RIR.

5. LEOW2012

Jan 17, 2016
    Oh yes, sorry, the second bird is a rir. I have 9 rhode islands and 6 gold sex links. All 6 were yellow when we got them. I have these 2 that stayed yellow and the other 4 are yellow with varying amounts of white and red. The bird in the first pictures looks even more pink today in the comb and wattle than it did yesterday.

6. LEOW2012

Jan 17, 2016
    [​IMG]

What do you guys think now? Rooster or pullet?

7. LEOW2012

Jan 17, 2016
    [​IMG]

Here's another one. This is bird #1 from above.

8. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    I could be wrong but I'd guess pullet to me the saddle feathers look rounded and not pointed but I'm no expert by any means. see what others think. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by