I'm thinking about a mule/donkey to protect my chickens...

The only animal you might find somewhat useful as protection for chickens is a dog. But any dog can and often will kill hens.

Border collies, Aussie shepherds and many other intelligent breeds are rumored to be best but our current mutt has been a chicken's best friend, by far.

Foxes routinely outsmart him. Foxes are pan-dimensional beings and probably capable of space flight when we are aren't looking.

We used to have donkeys and a mule. Not once did any of them lift a hoof to protect anybody but themselves. They aren't dumb.

Best animals for protecting chickens are human.

The only animal you might find somewhat useful as protection for chickens is a dog. But any dog can and often will kill hens.

Border collies, Aussie shepherds and many other intelligent breeds are rumored to be best but our current mutt has been a chicken's best friend, by far.

Foxes routinely outsmart him. Foxes are pan-dimensional beings and probably capable of space flight when we are aren't looking.

We used to have donkeys and a mule. Not once did any of them lift a hoof to protect anybody but themselves. They aren't dumb.

Best animals for protecting chickens are human.
I disagree with herding dogs being the best to guard chickens. Livestock guardian breeds are best, hands down. Just as a herding dog's main joy in life is to herd, an LGD finds its joy in watching over other creatures.

Our old neighbour had a Burnese mountain dog, supposedly a protector breed. It killed cats, chickens, small dogs and eventually tried to kill one of their kids before he dispatched it.

Another friend had a great pyrenees, yet another "protector" that blazed a similar path, taking many with it to an early grave.

Fact is dogs are what you make them, regardless of breed. And domesticated dogs are nowhere near as crafty as a wild canine that has to hunt for food, and is also food itself.

Dogs need good training and very good fencing, and are very expensive guardians for a few suburban chickens!
Few if any horses, mules, or whatever will care to protect your chickens. My horses just don't care, although they would protect herd members.
If you have experience with horses, and really want mules, go for it, but be ready for the costs and management issues, and more fencing.
Electric fencing does really well to protect chickens, and that safe coop and covered run.
Mary

Our old neighbour had a Burnese mountain dog, supposedly a protector breed. It killed cats, chickens, small dogs and eventually tried to kill one of their kids before he dispatched it.

Another friend had a great pyrenees, yet another "protector" that blazed a similar path, taking many with it to an early grave.

Fact is dogs are what you make them, regardless of breed. And domesticated dogs are nowhere near as crafty as a wild canine that has to hunt for food, and is also food itself.
That's too bad. We have a nearby sheep ranch that has 11 Great Pyrenees. They aren't pets, that's for sure. They train them by putting them in with the sheep, 24/7, as little puppies. Several times a day they are walked around the perimeter. They aren't given any human affection, like petting. They learn basic commands, but human contact is kept to a minimum, so they bond with the sheep. As adults, they are friendly to people, but don't seek them out. The biggest problem they have is that sometimes the younger dogs wander once they are out in the wild. It's supposed to help to pair up a new dog with an older, experienced one to keep them from going off too far.

A few people around here try to keep them as pets and run into lots of trouble.

I disagree with herding dogs being the best to guard chickens. Livestock guardian breeds are best, hands down. Just as a herding dog's main joy in life is to herd, an LGD finds its joy in watching over other creatures.

Try a semi-retired/older LGD possibly - Great Pyr, Maremma, Anatolian...rescue groups sometimes have them. They can be trained to guard birds or some have already done it. The herding breeds tend to harass birds, but LDGs take their jobs very seriously and bond to their charges. Mine guarded my goats, but also my barn cat any anything else on the property that needed it as they came along. They even guard from sky predators and my dogs would run underneath hawks and owls until they reached the pasture boundary guarding newborn goat kids and my barn cats.

That's too bad. [...]

A few people around here try to keep them as pets and run into lots of trouble.
We were very pleasantly surprised when our rescued at 5 weeks old newfy/shepherd/rottweiler/younameit turned out to be such a good barnyard dog, and so fantastically gentle and docile at the same time. I absolutely love dogs. They get such a bad rap for the misdeeds of the people they follow. Thanks for expanding your remarks. Very thoughtful post. :goodpost:

Back
Top Bottom