I'm thinking pullets...what do you think?

The only time I have been told not to eat the first eggs is if the first eggs are laid whilst the pullets are still eating the pullet grower feed, or during the first two week transition to layer feed. This is because of the coccidiostat that is in the pullet grower feed. The "washout period" where the coccidiostat leaves the pullet's body takes about 2 weeks.
You all must have different feeds in Australia than we do in the US. Starter is the only medicated feed, not grower, and not fed until point of lay. It's usually medicated with amprolium, which as far as I know doesn't have a withdrawal period.

I use medicated chick starter unless the chicks were inoculated at the hatchery. Feed chick starter until 12 to 13 weeks of age ( if feeding treats etc. make sure you provide them with a container of chick grit) then switch to grower feed (provide a separate container of normal grit) until 21-22 weeks of age and then switch to layer feed. When you switch to layer feed have a separate container of crushed oyster shell they can eat when they need calcium for nice strong egg shells. Don't give oyster shells or whatever you use to provide their calcium before 18 weeks as it can cause kidney damage. During the colder months provide scratch grains to help them maintain their body warmth. I also supplement my chickens (starting at 12 weeks and on) with assorted greens and veggies since mine aren't able to free range. As far as eating the first eggs, the only time you shouldn't eat eggs from a hen is if they have been ingesting food or water that has been treated with medication. So, unless the feed they are eating or the water they are drinking is medicated or you have been treating them with some type of medication there isn't really any issue in eating first eggs. If they are being medicated don't eat their eggs from onset of medication ingestion until 2 or 3 weeks after stopping medication (or whatever the manufacturer recommends) to begin eating their eggs again.

Our first eggs came last week!

Back
Top Bottom