Im thnking Delaware but what do I know

The problem with many hatchery Dels is that way back when they were almost extinct, some hatcheries in trying to bring them back did breed in Columbian Rocks (which interestingly enough, are now more rare than a true Delaware!). An old Welp hatchery ad even called them "Delaware/Columbian Rock", which is very telling. That is one reason why so many Delawares from hatcheries are so off in their coloring today.

That male doesn't have that influence, but he sure has something else in the mix. And our original poster now knows way more than he/she even asked, LOL!

Last edited:
The problem with many hatchery Dels is that way back when they were almost extinct, some hatcheries in trying to bring them back did breed in Columbian Rocks (which interestingly enough, are now more rare than a true Delaware!). An old Welp hatchery ad even called them "Delaware/Columbian Rock", which is very telling. That is one reason why so many Delawares from hatcheries are so off in their coloring today.

That male doesn't have that influence, but he sure has something else in the mix. And our original poster now knows way more than he/she even asked, LOL!
:lol:

So true! I like to learn something new everyday :thumbsup

We'll no worries. Culled 5 roosters from the flock today to include him. And, you all are correct as I just found out that he wasn't part of the hatchery order. I acquired about 30 birds 6 weeks ago and they were all supposed to have came from a hatchery, however, six of them came from a kindergarten class project and he was one of them. Found that out when the teacher in question just started buying eggs from us. So who knows what he was, except that of the 5, he let me walk up to him and pick him up without a fuss. The others involved a little bit of a chase, etc.

The hen is a keeper as I said, she lays some big eggs.

And yes our name is Bacon, however, no hog farming in our future...

BaconFarms

Ah, well, that explains it, then. Glad he was outed as a mixed breed after all.

And, welcome to BYC from one Bacon to another. My DH's family helped to found the state of GA. They came from Dorchester, England in 1635, descended from Michael Bacon I to found Dorchester, MA, then migrated down to found Dorchester, SC, then founded Dorchester, GA.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom