I'm torn here!! UPDATE pg.5

Quote:
It simply means...she went to a FARM because she missed her own birds and then saw a battered roo involved in a pecking debate to the point she got SO upset she was going to steal it. Then she returned to the farm where she found no other flockings paying attention to the battered roo, which she said was a good thing. Also she found all the nesting materials anew, which means the farmer isn't being a complete bunghole. Then the roo was trying to recover from his dismay with his flocked up feet. Just sounds like everyone elses description of what is involved in a fowl pecking order. Am I being too objective here? Sounds like ordinary farm life to me. If not, then do tell how it really is on a farm?

Just because its 'farm life' doesn't mean the roos wounds should not be treated....it doens't even sound like it was treated with Blue Kote, which is a basic antiseptic used on chickens...even Atwoods uses it on their chicks!

It sounded like a pecking debate(which I learned from this here wonderful forum) that was unfortunately witnessed by a human(whom overreacted in my eyes). If the bird didn't survive the flock, he either became stew, dog food, or fertilizer. Typical farm life. It's not that upsetting to me at all. Why is it so upsetting to you guys? Makes me wonder if some posters have hidden agendas here. And if so, let me know what categories are safe for me to be in without being smashed for my honest opinion. Thanks for coming!
smile.png

Last edited:
Holliewould,

The pecking issue is NOT the reason for my/our concern. My concern is for the infected feet the rooster is suffering from.
roll.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Whatever, it's all objective to me. You don't know that roos history, or why his feet were pecked at, or if they've been treated or not. The farm you named here, I hope they don't get a bunch of people you riled up here accusing them of rooster abuse though. Good luck with your decisions birdlover.
smile.png
We'll chat again hopefully on another thread. I am soooo done with this one!
big_smile.png

Quote:
Just because its 'farm life' doesn't mean the roos wounds should not be treated....it doens't even sound like it was treated with Blue Kote, which is a basic antiseptic used on chickens...even Atwoods uses it on their chicks!

It sounded like a pecking debate(which I learned from this here wonderful forum) that was unfortunately witnessed by a human(whom overreacted in my eyes). If the bird didn't survive the flock, he either became stew, dog food, or fertilizer. Typical farm life. It's not that upsetting to me at all. Why is it so upsetting to you guys? Makes me wonder if some posters have hidden agendas here. And if so, let me know what categories are safe for me to be in without being smashed for my honest opinion. Thanks for coming!
smile.png

Pecking order is normal and I have more roosters than 'normal' so I know the roos can get rough with eachother but that does not mean they should not have those wounds treated. With chickens it is especially important due to the fact they dust bathe and dig in things that aren't the most clean places on earth
tongue.png
And because chickens are naturally attracted to the color red, if the wound is bloody it could be the cause for other chickens pecking at the wound and making it worse.

You asked why it was so upsetting and my answer is this: No animal should be neglected medical care when in need, esp. when there is someone who is so willing to help for free.

Hello, again! I went to the farm this morning and, first, checked on Mr. Pants. He was lying in a dark corner. Found the Animal Manager, Paul, and he was VERY friendly and seemed willing to help. We went in the coop and picked up "Mr. Pants" to check out his feet. (He liked the name I gave him.
lol.png
) Oh, were they BAD! He said they had gone downhill and that he had taken the poor little feller out of the coop but someone must have put him back over the weekend when he was off. The sore on top of one foot is black, about the size of a dime and open so you can actually see the bone. The other one isn't quite as big or open. He told me he had put antibiotic ointment on his feet and I said he needed something internal like baytril as well. He said he has baytril for some of the other animals and was going to call the vet about dosage. I told him I didn't want to be a pain but I'd be willing to buy him or take him, treat him and then bring him back. He said they don't take animals back once they're gone so I told him I knew several people who could take him. He said to give him a week and see how he does (which sounds like he'll let me have him if he doesn't improve). He also told me a little of his background. He was the "rare chick" that came with their McMurray order and is a standard buff cochin. (He looks exactly like he's wearing pants because all the feathers on his feet are gone and that threw me off as to his breed!) Wasn't able to get pictures but y'all know what a standard buff cochin roo looks like, right? So, he took Mr. Pants out of the coop, plans to call the vet about how much baytril to inject and we'll see how it goes. I do plan to check on him during the week (he said okay) and I'll let you know how things progress. I feel heartened that he was so willing to intervene but I just hope he's not just all talk. Thank you soo much for following the saga of Mr. Pants.

AND A BIG GIANT HELLO TO ML, TUFF AND DIANA! So good to hear from the good old gals!!!
cool.png

I hope he lets you take him. The problem will remail because after being taken out of the population, he will be attacked when they put him back and it will start all over again. I hope the mods change your RANK to 'Heart of GOLD'
smile.png

Love the name! Mr. Pants! Didn't realize it was good ol' Frying Pan Park...used to do horse shows there when I was a kid! Keep on 'em and make friends with them. Sounds like they need a caring person to just give a refreshed look at things every once in a while.

Back
Top Bottom