I'm traumatized. (graphic)

The thing that bothers me about the throat-slice method is the fact that the bird doesn't die instantly. In that case, they are likely flapping because they are bleeding to death, not because they are already dead. The thought disturbs me quite a bit.

I could never kill any of my birds...I know in some cases it's the only option for some people and I respect that, but I could never do it myself. I don't even think I could send birds off to be slaughtered. Maybe that makes me a weenie in that sense, but I can't help it. lol

I'm really sorry you had such an awful experience. That would bother me for quite a long time, too. The rooster is in heaven feeling fine, and I hope you start to feel better again soon.

Again I'm sorry you had a bad experience. The first time I witnessed a culling I was a kid. Living on a farm it was a normal thing. But the meat it provided was tasty, and he served his purpose for our family. If I had some one to help me or the service of a processing I would very likely have meat birds. You did what you had to do.

Oh Cyn.....I am sooo very sorry. I cant imagine how tramatic that was for you. Do me a favor...next time...bring them to me...I will take care of it for you, and bag em up, for you to have for dinner. It doesnt take long..and we can have a nice visit as well.

Sorry this was a bad experience.

Take my word for it. A sharp axe or hatchet works very quickly and efficiently.

The flopping and flapping will hapen no matter what you do - You can just minimize it in a cone or a variation there of. It is involunterry muscle spasms.

Thanks guys. I needed that.
I'm getting over it, but i'm still having moments of upset, especially when I see one of the other Reds running by.
I wasn't prepared for this part of animal husbandry.
Deb- i'm going to take you up on that seriously. I can probably watch the process after it doesn't have feathers any more.
I'm a whimp.
The boyfriend has also offered to dispatch any other roosters that need it.

Quote:
I do that same thing...I have a few here that will take any chicken I want to cull out. My kids won't eat the chickens so I have to get rid of them instead. I did find someone though that I've been trying to talk into dressing some out for me, but I'd have to sneak them in the freezer and cook them before the kids come in.

Hey, I am a strong 28-year-old male and I had the same experience last month. I too heard that snapping the neck is the best way to do it, but after doing it I would say that it isn’t. It somehow broke its wing and the bone popped out, Ahh… it was horrible. You are VERY brave for doing it. Most women won’t

I want it done instantly, so if I do it again and I am sure I will, I will be doing it with a hatchet. I don’t think slicing the thought will be any better for the meat, I could not watch it staring at me accusingly. I wish I would have asked someone who had done it many times before to help me with my first one.

Back
Top Bottom