I'm trying to learn as much as I can to keep my rooster from turning aggressive

DreamsInPink

Songster
5 Years
Feb 25, 2016
Salt Fork Lake Region, Ohio
Hi all... I've been reading a lot on the forums and on the internet in general.. I just processed 11 roosters to reduce some chaos in my flock. What a mess it was before hand. My poor hens... but I am happy to say things are much quieter now. I kept 1 Buff Orpington, 4 months and 1 Silkie rooster, 5 months old, for myself and I'm housing another BO rooster for my daughter, but I'm pretty sure he's leaving this weekend.

So far, neither one of the roosters are showing any signs of aggression, but I think it may be early yet. Although, they are both crowing and have been for awhile and they are both mating with my hens. None of my chickens are really able to be handled. I could catch them if I had to and they'd let me handle them, but they aren't 'come over and jump on my lap' friendly. From what I've read, in reference to the roosters, this is good.

They do both hang around me, just milling around being chickens if I am sitting out in the run visiting everyone. Not any more so than all the hens, but they aren't afraid of me either. The BO has shown some curiosity that's made me nervous. He'll just walk over to me when I'm sitting in my chair and look up at me, tilting his head back and forth. I'm not really feeling like he's 'sizing me up', but I'm new to rooster behavior, so I'm not sure. I almost get the feeling he might LIKE to jump in my lap.... :rolleyes: Normally when he does this, I just kind of shoo him away. Is that a good thing to do?

I just want to be careful not to create a monster. I've read so many horror stories. I don't NEED roosters, but I'd like to keep a couple, if possible. I'd like to try hatching some chicks next spring, with the help of one of my Silkie hens and I love hearing them crow. Plus I know they are good guardians for my hens.

Any advice you can give would be great.... or if I'm doing something wrong, let me know.

Thanks!

There are many ways to manage cockerels - many of which appear rather conflicting IMO. I think that you are doing the right thing in shooing him away. If he learns to respect your space, then I'd say you are well on your way to creating a healthy relationship.

Personally, i never baby any cockerel / roo. I make sure that they keep their distance at all times - walking directly towards them seems to make them jog away (I do this regularly, just reinforce things). Everyone does things differently, but this link makes for interesting reading - https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1101665/the-complete-life-cycle-of-a-mostly-happy-rooster.

I'm sure you will get a myriad of responses that contradict, or are at least different to what i do. The key to remember is that very few things in chicken management are caste in stone. Read all you can, internalise it and then do what you feel suits you and your situation. That is the best advice I can offer.

All the best
CT

The ideal for me would be to pen each rooster up by himself. That will allow him to approach his mature dominant behavior more rapidly without interference from other roosters. If a rooster shows signs of aggression, then cull him. Then reintroduce him to the flock of females and watch him for a few days and if he show aggression while you are in with hens, then cull him. Do not do anything like handle hens in his presence is my normal protocol. Later when hens are broody will be another time where you challenge his capacity for aggression directed at humans.

I have a lot of experience with roosters and use them frequently around small children (see link https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/407880/ambassadors-for-the-farm). That being said, I do not know of a single step assessment for determining whether a rooster will be a problem.

My experience says do not show or otherwise try to dominate roosters, nor to you behave submissively. Rather act like they are not their unless one attacks, and if attack quickly cull so vetting effort can be directed towards other birds.

OMGoodness.... 11 males!!!

Are all your birds 4-5 months old?

Yeah, tell me about it!! :rolleyes: I bought 24 straight run Buff Orpingtons.. so I knew the potential was there for a lot of males, but I was ok with that, as we wanted to process them. I'm not 100% sure I got all of them either. Seems some are later to mature, or maybe they are just hens. It's hard for me to tell at times... inexperienced telling them apart.

Yes, I just started this spring... I have several different age groups... my oldest ones are 5 months old and the very youngest, still in the introduction pen are 2 months old. And a few in between.

Back
Top Bottom