I'm worried, needlessly! UPDATED

Crickett

Songster
10 Years
Apr 9, 2009
Heart of Dixie
DH moved my oldest babies out of the pen today. They seem to be doing ok, but I think maybe it's still too cool for them. They have been without a lamp for about three weeks now, and have done well. Temps are running 60's at night, high 70's during the day. Is that too cool for them? They are between 7-8 weeks old and are fully feathered. Am I just worrying over nothing? DH says I am. He says they will be fine, but I don't know.

Last edited:
They're old enough, they should be fine. I put mine out around 5 weeks, when the weather here was similar to yours there. Relax, kick back. Enjoy them being outside, along with all their dust!!

As long as they have some shelter, they should be ok. I would probably put one of those red 25-40 watt bulbs in a work light out there.

They might just need a cardboard box to huddle in, should be fine.

They absolutely don't need anything. They're more than fine, really. I've had my 9 weekers outside for 4 weeks and I'm in MA
wink.png

I live in north pole alaska and temps are getting down to 30 at night (sure wish it would warm up) neways, I have 5 week old ducks and turkeys and 4 weeks old chickens I just moved outside under a huge carport but in seperate brooders, it is draft free but I have hay for them to snuggle up in and a 100 wyatt (spelling?) lighbulb on at night for them they have been out there for 4 nights now and doing just fine!!! they have most of thier feathers .I understand your worry I didn't sleep good for the first two nights lol.

Last edited:
Trust your DH. They'll be fine. I was the same way when my SO insisted I shut the light off on mine.

Everyone made it through the night just fine! I feel like such a fool for being so worried now! I even told DH that if anything happened to "my babies" I would be so mad at him! They are walking around now, eating and cheeping away.

Back
Top Bottom