Im worried.

youngchickgirl

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 28, 2014
Dunlap Il
Irs day 22. Still nothing. I see them wobbling occasionally, but no pips. Is it too dry in there? My incubator doesn't tell you the humidity level, but it says to add water to the second trough on day 18 and I did. I am about to like cry, its my first time incubating.

Just hold on! You are close! Don't open the incubator to get the first babies out because you will lose all the humidity and the other babies will get stuck. If they get stuck to their shells they will die without help. It may take days. Be patient!

Okay. None are piped but they are vibrating in there so is it a good idea to add water? Its comptetly dry. Should I wrap the eggs ok n a warm wet paper towel?

If it is dry, add water ASAP! Eggs will not hatch unless there is around 70% humidity. You must up the humidity now. Do it directly, like putting a bowl of water right in there to get humidity up. I would spray the incubator with some water too. Give it mist to get the humidity going. If the eggs are vibrating, then you need to get that humidity really high in a very short time!

Okay! Will do! Is there a chance that the shells are too thick? I just read online that wrapping them in a warm wet towel it will help it get more humid or something. When is it time to try the water test when you put them in water? Will candling be necessary? Haha sorry I am full of questions that none of the people I have spoken to in person have answered me properly.

There is a great article in the BYC Learning Center on hatching https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101 If you need to up the humidity more, if you have room put a bowl or something of water with a sponge in the incubator. Are you able to measure the humidity? What sort of incubator are you using? Right now I would not candle if the eggs are moving, or do the water test until day 25 or so, the water test is useful to tell if there are any live chicks at a late date. Did you keep track of weight loss or air cell size on the eggs? The shells could be too think, but it would be unusual.

Back
Top Bottom