Images included, not pleasant. Puppies attacked/playing with chickens

May 23, 2022
Murfreesboro, TN
I have 2 five months old french bulldogs, and they have been around our Chickens (who are 8 months old) since we got them. They love to chase the chickens but haven't been aggressive. They usually get bored and go on to play with each other. Today one of our Chickens (Zena) had the feathers torn from her back. We can only think it was the puppies. She was the only one attacked and there were no other animals in our yard. Our chickens have never been aggressive towards each other. She is doing well as far as I can tell. She's eating and drinking just fine, and she's moving around pretty well. We have quarantined her in a cage with bedding, a roost, food, and water in a quiet area in the house. She also has a heater since her feathers are gone and our house stays at 64 degrees (the heater isn't directly on her and it's a heat plate type heater, so no risk of her getting to hot or burned). We've also bought vetericyn to spray on her wounds.

Is there anything else we should be doing to help her. We don't have vets around us that know anything about Chickens.

Attachments

• PXL_20230204_232332342.jpg
    PXL_20230204_232332342.jpg
    432 KB · Views: 5
  • PXL_20230204_232335374~2.jpg
    PXL_20230204_232335374~2.jpg
    466.8 KB · Views: 3
  • PXL_20230204_232317426.jpg
    PXL_20230204_232317426.jpg
    557.4 KB · Views: 3
  • PXL_20230204_232314550.jpg
    PXL_20230204_232314550.jpg
    622.6 KB · Views: 3
  • PXL_20230204_232326482.jpg
    PXL_20230204_232326482.jpg
    298.4 KB · Views: 3
  • PXL_20230204_232321792.jpg
    PXL_20230204_232321792.jpg
    423 KB · Views: 2
Just keep the wounds clean, rinse them with saline solution or warm water and an antiseptic product.
Keep an eye on it.
She'll be ok, you're doing great.

Thank you.
How do I rinse her? This is the first time anything like this has happened so do I just pour water over her or spray her with water (like a spray bottle). Should I put her in the bath tub? What about the feathers she does have...what do I do when they get wet. I'm so afraid to hurt her further.

Thank you.
How do I rinse her? This is the first time anything like this has happened so do I just pour water over her or spray her with water (like a spray bottle). Should I put her in the bath tub? What about the feathers she does have...what do I do when they get wet. I'm so afraid to hurt her further.
Just use a cup and pour over her wounds over a sink or tub. She'll squirm but it's necessary. As long as she's inside where it's warm, she should dry quickly. Give her some warm water with a bit of sugar/honey, and a pinch of salt to help her get over the shock. You can use neosporin on the wounds once or twice but dont use it when a scab starts to form, you want to keep it solid. :]

Just use a cup and pour over her wounds over a sink or tub. She'll squirm but it's necessary. As long as she's inside where it's warm, she should dry quickly. Give her some warm water with a bit of sugar/honey, and a pinch of salt to help her get over the shock. You can use neosporin on the wounds once or twice but dont use it when a scab starts to form, you want to keep it solid. :]
Thank you so much, that's very helpful 😊
I'm going to leave her be for the night, I've been checking on her as quietly as I can as not to disturb her while she's sleeping. But I will definitely rinse her off first thing in the morning.

She laid a soft egg when we had her in a box waiting on my husband to get back with a small crate. I've never had one of those before. It was really weird.

Thank you so much, that's very helpful 😊
I'm going to leave her be for the night, I've been checking on her as quietly as I can as not to disturb her while she's sleeping. But I will definitely rinse her off first thing in the morning.

She laid a soft egg when we had her in a box waiting on my husband to get back with a small crate. I've never had one of those before. It was really weird.
It's likely just from the shock, she should be ok once she calms down.
Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom