Immediate crisis, abandoned egg, please help

Pics
I just helped a chick out of the shell on Friday. The #3 chick I mentioned earlier in fact. It had pipped but 14 hours later no zip. It's peeping sounded weak so I went in for the assist and started pulling away shell. No bleeding. No sign of any unabsorbed blood vessels so I kept going. Baby started to get excited and struggling but that is when I noticed the membrane was drier than I wanted it to be and thick. I tore the membrane. No blood. Baby rolled out in my hand completely healthy and ready to face the world.

I was glad I decided to assist. I don't think the tiny bantam chick would have ever gotten out of that shell under it's own locomotion.

As to when to go in and assist. It's hard. I trust my gut. No progress is something I look for. Weak peep something else to watch out for but if you do decide to help, make sure you know what you are getting into. There are several excellent articles here on BYC concerning assisted hatches.

Personally, I've had weird weather conditions here and my broodies have had a hard time keeping consistent humidity on the eggs. I've seen lots of dry and thick membranes that have cost me a few chicks last month.

Hope Cookie gets on the ball and gets itself born.:pop

Well, Cookie stopped moving entirely, and was silent except for short, distressed cheeps. The membrane looked dry, chick seemed terribly distressed, so I helped it out most of the way, but honestly I don't think the prognosis is good. I left the umbilical cord attached, and she is in a warm cozy box sitting on a low heating pad. I don't expect her to last the hour, but we'll see.
There was no bleeding-- Dona has gentle fingers, and extracted the chick with extraordinary finesse-- but she just seems so, so, so very weak.

Well, Cookie stopped moving entirely, and was silent except for short, distressed cheeps. The membrane looked dry, chick seemed terribly distressed, so I helped it out most of the way, but honestly I don't think the prognosis is good. I left the umbilical cord attached, and she is in a warm cozy box sitting on a low heating pad. I don't expect her to last the hour, but we'll see.
There was no bleeding-- Dona has gentle fingers, and extracted the chick with extraordinary finesse-- but she just seems so, so, so very weak.
get her drinking asap, if you have save a chick or nutri drench make her some water with it, they are usually tired and weak especially if you had to assist, even unassisted have mostly sleeped for the first 24 hours thats hard work, showed em where water was as pulled em outta the incubator to the brooder and boy did they remember where that was

Can you post a picture?

Can you post a picture?
There's not much to see beyond a weak chick. I gave her a drop of nutri drench.
20190820_204246.jpg

Back
Top Bottom