IMMEDIATE HELP AND SUGGESTIONS NEEDED.

@MohicanHase and @Friartuck

Yes, there are roosters, there are five in fact. Three silkies and a pair of cukoo copper marans roosters. They kill rodents too, and often the cats eat them. And yes, I get the feeling a hen would wake up if she had a freakin' rodent chewing her leg off, you know...through her joint, skin, and muscle. Like I said, I guess it's possible, but c'mon now. Unless she want put under an anesthetic, I really don't think she'd sleep through that.

well I agree someone and a prank would have done a lot more damage. a coon, possum, skunk, would have killed the flock. I think the only answer is a rodent.
Eh...not necessarily. A prank could be as simple as egging my henhouse, or even my hens...or as destructive as cutting all my wire down. There are plenty of in-betweens when it comes to dumb teens and pranks. Cutting off a leg seems small but to the new animal torturer it could seem like a big step.

Maybe you could make something that fasteners around her body?
After seeing pics I don't think it was a rat because it would be more than one bite and the chicken would wake up and move about
Could it of been infected at the top and just dropped off, hense not much blood or wound?

Last edited:
Maybe you could make something that fasteners around her body?
After seeing pics I don't think it was a rat because it would be more than one bite and the chicken would wake up and move about
Could it of been infected at the top and just dropped off, hense not much blood or wound?
I don't think so. I check my hen's bodies every few days. I checked them all before I left and everyone was just fine, save for one of my silky roo's comb being a bit scratched. I know I shouldn't have to, but I'm always on the lookout for injuries and parasites.I look through feathers after every scuffle and check everyone if I catch anyone sneaking around the back room. I checked legs, thighs, and wings of everyone that day since the gate had been left open to the room....nothing.

The back room is just a harmless area where I keep the feed, so there isn't any hazard of being cut...I just don't want any sneaky birds tipping bags or eliminating where they shouldn't.

Well, I still have just no idea how her leg disappeared, and I hate to announce that she's no longer with me. :c She died that night.

Well, I still have just no idea how her leg disappeared, and I hate to announce that she's no longer with me. :c She died that night. 

I am so sorry ..............that poor chicken. I can imagine how you must feel. The fact of just NOT knowing how it happened is hard enough.

Back
Top Bottom